1. Position information
Vacancy No.: VN18-28
Grade: A3 and A2
Job Ref. No.: STF-C/18-28
Section: Data Centre Operations
Reports to: Head of Data Centre Operations Section
Closing Date: 27 September 2018
2. About ECMWF
ECMWF is both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing and disseminating
numerical weather predictions to its Member States. ECMWF carries out scientific and technical
research directed to the improvement of its forecasts, collects and processes large amounts of
observations, and manages a long-term archive of meteorological data. Satellite and in situ
observations provide the information for up-to-date global analyses and climate reanalyses of the
atmosphere, ocean and land surface.
For details, see www.ecmwf.int/.
3. Summary of the role
ECMWF is moving its Data Centre to Bologna (Italy) in 2019. In preparation, ECMWF is looking to
recruit two engineers who will make up its on-site engineering team in Bologna. The construction of
the data centre will start in the autumn of this year and is expected to be fully operational by the last
quarter of 2020.
The engineering team will oversee and manage the engineering services at the data centre in
Bologna, including all aspects of the technical infrastructure and the building services that support
the computing environment, such as electrical distribution, chilled water systems, air conditioning,
data cabling etc.
It is envisaged that both roles will involve an initial period of familiarisation and training at the current
data centre in Reading and candidates must be prepared to be based in Reading for a period of time
at the start of their contract.
The engineering team will also be involved in the planning and organisation necessary to ensure the
timely and continuous provision of all services during the transitional period from moving the ECMWF
Data Centre from Reading to Bologna.
The successful candidates must have a hands-on, practical approach, with a sound engineering
background and the ability and experience to take well-reasoned engineering decisions.
4. ECMWFs Buildings
The new Data Centre in Bologna will be located on the site of the old Manifattura Tabacchi complex
which is being converted into the Bologna Technopolo. The facility is not built yet but a high-level
summary of the scale of the facility is as follows.
The IT white space, circa 3000m2
, will be housed within several of the buildings on the site utilising a
"box in box" strategy. The original building envelope is being retained and within that several boxes
will be built to house data halls, data storage halls, plant and equipment and office facilities.
Five 2.5MVA diesel rotary UPS systems in an N+1 configuration, the outputs interconnected in an
IPBus arrangement. This provides power to the whole facility.
The primary cooling system is comprised of a mixture of well water cooling, ambient air-dry cooling
and chillers. The redundant capacity of the system is more than 7MW.
Addressable fire detection system throughout the facility augmented by an aspirated detection
system in the IT spaces, Fire suppression systems are provided - argon fire suppression protects the
IT spaces / critical switch rooms and high-pressure water mist protects office spaces.
5. Engineering team - main duties and key responsibilities
- Maintaining a thorough technical understanding of the day-to-day operation of building services throughout the facility including, for example, electrical and mechanical systems, data cabling infrastructure, fire detection and suppression systems, security and access control etc.
- Responsible for monitoring the data centre whitespace and infrastructure using building management system, power and energy management and monitoring systems
- Troubleshooting infrastructure systems and advising on their capabilities, particularly when faults have occurred
- Supervising and managing mechanical and electrical contractors that provide maintenance and installation work on site, including
- Switching LV electrical supplies.
- Providing 24*7 on-call support as part of a rota
- Contributing to the specification of new and replacement infrastructure and participating in procurements, to ensure that new infrastructure is implemented successfully
- Producing and maintaining procedures for safe operation of the facilities systems and infrastructure
- Providing guidance and expertise on all aspects of engineering and infrastructure at the data centre and to the rest of the ECMWF Computing Department as and when necessary to ensure smooth and timely installation of new systems / modification of existing systems
- Supporting the procurement of infrastructure services including design, specification, installation, performance and commissioning as well as maintenance and services contracts
- Improving operational resilience and operating efficiency where possible
- Liaising with and managing engineering design consultants for infrastructure projects
In addition, the Senior Site Engineer will be responsible for:
- Managing the engineering team, providing both technical guidance, line management and support
- Coordinating, planning and organising the provision of engineering services at the data centre
- Contributing to the overall management of the data centre
6. Personal attributes
- Leading and deciding, while empowering, motivating and guiding others towards common goals
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including listening to and respecting the views of others
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills with a self-motivated proactive approach to work
- An interest in identifying, investigating and resolving technical problems
- Ability to work under pressure and to interact with others
- Ability to write technical reports and make recommendations, to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Flexible approach and ability to manage changing work priorities
- Willingness and ability to take a hands-on approach to resolve minor problems on site
- Dedication and ability to work independently or as part of a small team
7. Qualifications and experience required
- A university degree in Electrical Engineering or Building Services Engineering
with an electrical bias or equivalent.
- Substantial background and demonstrated relevant experience of working in a mission critical data centre or similar 24/7 environment.
- Demonstrated relevant professional experience in building services, preferably in a 24/7 mission critical data centre environment.
- Experience of contract management for a variety of areas, for example - electricity supply, facilities management, plant maintenance etc.
- Experience with the practical application of Italian electrical standards and knowledge of the Italian health and safety regulations and practices is essential.
For Senior Site Engineer:
- Experience of staff management is desirable but not essential.
- Candidates must hold all relevant qualifications necessary to perform the
above-mentioned duties and responsibilities in an Italian-based data centre. In
addition, certified Data Centre management or Data Centre design
qualifications would be advantageous
- Candidates must be fluent in both Italian and English as this role will involve
reading and communicating highly technical documentation in both languages.
All interviews will be conducted in English.
8. Other information
Grade A2: €64,085.88 NET of tax.
Grade A3: €79,067.64 NET of tax.
Both positions are assigned to the employment category STF-C as defined in the Staff Regulations.
ECMWF offers an attractive salary package and candidates will also be eligible to join the ECMWF
Pension Scheme and will also be covered by Cigna, the Supplementary Health Insurance Scheme.
Full details of salary scales and allowances are available on the ECMWF website at
www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs, including the Centre’s Staff Regulations regarding the terms and
conditions of employment.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Length of contract: Four years with possibility of a further contract.
Location: It is envisaged that both roles will involve an initial period of familiarisation and training at
the current Data Centre in Reading, Berkshire, United Kingdom and candidates must be prepared to
be based in Reading for a period at the start of their contract. Thereafter, the position will be located
in the Bologna area, in Emilia-Romagna, Italy. The exact period is project dependent and will be
discussed during the recruitment process
9. How to apply
Please apply by completing the online application form available at www.ecmwf.int/en/about/jobs/.
At ECMWF, we consider an inclusive environment as key for our success. We are dedicated to
ensure a workplace that embraces diversity and provides equal opportunities for all, without
distinction as to race, gender, age, marital status, social status, disability, sexual orientation, religion,
personality, ethnicity and culture. We value the benefits derived from a diverse workforce and are
committed to having staff that reflect the diversity of the countries that are part of our community, in
an environment that nurtures equality and inclusion.
Staff are usually recruited from among nationals of the following Member States and Co-operating
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, former Yugoslav
Republic of Macedonia, France, Hungary, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania,
Luxembourg, Montenegro, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia,
Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Staff from other countries may be considered in exceptional cases