As a scientific collaborator in the Postprocessing and Verification team, you will be responsible for the development and operation of software for the automatic processing of large amounts of data from numerical weather forecast models.
Your tasks include:
- Development and implementation of methods or programs for the production of weather forecasts using various data sources for the MeteoSwiss website and mobile app.
- Application of statistical methods and/or machine learning to improve weather forecasting and to develop tools for internal and external users to analyze and visualize meteorological data.
- Ensuring the operation and quality of automatic production systems from a technical and scientific point of view.
- Management of scientific and technical projects, implementation of customer needs related to the automatic processing of meteorological data.
- Close cooperation with both MeteoSwiss specialists in Zurich and Locarno and with key customers of the Swiss Confederation as well as national and international partners.
- Master's degree in atmospheric or environmental sciences, physics, computer science or comparable, ideally with a doctorate
- Profound knowledge in real-time processing of large multi-dimensional data sets (several terabytes) from numerical weather forecasting models and from weather observations. Good knowledge in statistics and/or machine learning.
- Profound knowledge of the Python programming language, ideally also in container technologies, messaging systems and cloud usage.
- Good knowledge in (Alpine) meteorology.
- Motivated, communicative and team-oriented personality.
- Good knowledge of two official languages and English.
This is a 80% position, located in Geneva
Full job advertisement and link to application in French:
Full job advertisement and link to application in German: