The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is an internationally renowned centre for climate research located in Hamburg, Germany. The MPI-M provides a vibrant international and interdisciplinary environment for conducting scientific research as well as access to state-of-the-art scientific facilities. The institute is located in the heart of one of Europe's most liveable cities, and is embedded in an environment known worldwide for its breadth of climate research.
The MPI-M has opened a position for a
to co-lead and manage the experiment (science) driven development of the institute's next-generation Earth-system models. In most cases the science applications driving the development will be defined by associated internal, national, and international projects. The successful candidate is expected to maintain their own research profile through joint projects with institute scientists, with duties roughly split evenly in three areas: (i) general coordination/strategy, (iii) project management; and (iii) research/applications.
- Initiating and leading projects that give the scientific direction guiding model developments,
- Responsibility for representing the institute, and its projects, within the ICON development consortium,
- Contributing to and helping coordinate the institute's model development strategy in service of its scientific goals,
- Giving impetus to the novel application of the modelling and simulation tools developed by the institute.
- A PhD in Atmospheric/Ocean or Climate Science, or related field
- A track record of excellent and independent research on topics related to Earth-system modeling and simulation.
- A demonstrated ability to provide leadership in an academic environment, for instance through the conceptualization and initiation of projects, or through past leadership of research projects/scientific working groups.
- A high technical competence as demonstrated by a track record of successfully working with complex simulation/modelling systems and their development teams.
- Strong time and project management skills and project management experience.
- Excellent (written and spoken) communication skills in both English and German.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with proven ability to communicate collaborate with senior management and peers to deliver measurable results.
- The position is envisioned to be a permanent position, with an initial appointment at the E14 level.
- The possibility of promotion to E15 at the end of three years will be based on a demonstrated ability to provide leadership and assume responsibility to deliver measurable results
- The conditions of employment, including upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
- The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality and heartily welcomes applications from all backgrounds.
- Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
- Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Selection criteria & Application Documents:
Candidates will be evaluated based on qualifications as assessed through their track record of accomplishment and assessed potential for creative and independent research. Start date of 1 January 2021 is targeted, but negotiable.
A complete application should be comprised of:
- A letter of motivation outlining your interest in the position
- A curriculum vitae incl. a list of publications
- The names and contact data for two referees
These documents must be uploaded in our online application system:
Deadline for applying:
Applications received prior to 30 August 2020 will receive full consideration; the successful candidate is expected to start on or around 1 January 2021.
For further information, please contact Prof. Bjorn Stevens:
Do not forward your application to this email address; the applications need to be submitted through the online application system (see link above).