Job Reference: RML20-03
Job Location: Skipton
Job Type: Permanent
Close Date: Sunday 9 August 2020 23:59
Do you want to join the world leaders in flood risk management and help revolutionise our in-house technologies?
JBA Risk Management (www.jbarisk.com) are looking for a talented individual from a numerical or Environmental/Earth Science background to fill a senior role in our quality control team.
Better known amongst our clients as The Flood People, we help the insurance, reinsurance and property industries understand flood risk. Our flood maps, catastrophe models and data are used by some of the world's leading organisations. We are experts in translating complex, scientific data into useful information, using sophisticated hydraulic approaches and models to provide cutting-edge flood risk intelligence.
As a Software, Data and Scientific Method Quality Leader, you will play a vital role in enabling us to deliver the highest possible quality data and software to our clients.
We have an ambitious multi-year plan to revolutionise the technologies we use to serve our clients and, while the role encompasses all our products, it has a focus on the quality of our in-house software, including the methods used and the data produced.
You will need to be a naturally curious person with an analytical mindset and leadership experience.
You will have a logical approach to problem solving, be comfortable with working with large datasets of various forms and will understand Environmental/Earth Science concepts. You will also need to be familiar with GIS and ideally catastrophe modelling and/or natural hazard mapping.
You will be able to work with a range of colleagues with differing knowledge and backgrounds, be flexible in response to changing priorities, and not be phased by novel concepts.
You will lead a highly qualified team of scientists working on QC of software, data and scientific methods. You will not be shy to challenge concepts or to demand robust justification of proposed methods.
Flood-specific experience is less important than a scientifically questioning approach, evidence of strong transferrable skills and the ability to learn quickly.
You will need to able to demonstrate the following essential attributes:
- Higher research degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent
- Experience of line management, managing priorities and work allocation/resourcing
- Professional manner with strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable ability to understand and clearly communicate technical concepts orally and in written English
- Experience of teamwork and collaboration across boundaries both in person and via collaboration technologies
- Understanding of the computational data processing environment, common software and systems used
- Experience of spatial data and GIS
- Experience using numerical or statistical modelling methods
- Coding experience in a high-level language using source control e.g. Python, R, SQL.
- Competent using MS Office 365 suite of tools
If you have any of the following desirable attributes, even better:
- Experience of software testing, UAT
- Use of software development and testing tools Familiar with Linux
- Experience with test automation frameworks, particularly for user interfaces
- LEAN/SixSigma, experience or formal qualifications
- An understanding of statistical concepts
Career Development and Benefits
A competitive salary is available depending on experience, together with a comprehensive benefits package including pension scheme, life insurance, medical assistance scheme and subsidised group income protection. The JBA Group is an employee-owned company and staff qualify for profit share after a minimum length of service.
We are focused on helping our staff develop their skills and offer a generous training budget to every member of staff. Our well-regarded professional development programme provides the opportunity to enhance and update technical and management skills throughout your career. We encourage and support the attainment of professional qualifications including chartered membership of professional associations.
The role will be based in our Broughton Park office near Skipton (North Yorkshire). The office is located on the Broughton Hall estate and is surrounded by 3000 acres of parkland, farmland, woodland and moors. This unique work setting sits on the boundary of the Yorkshire Dales National Park http://www.broughtonhall.co.uk/broughton-hall.
Further information and applications:
For further information or an informal discussion about this position please email Charlotte Parker, HR Manager.
To apply for the post, applications should be made using the JBA Risk Management Application pro-forma and emailed to our careers team. Only applications made using the standard form will be accepted; CVs and other supporting information is welcome.
No unsolicited CVs from Agencies.