The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City's natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem. This position, under direction of the Chief of Natural Resources, with latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative, will conduct monitoring, assessment and analysis to support ecological conservation, protection, management and restoration design across the city and will help develop and implement an adaptive management program collaborating with senior staff to integrate research, monitoring, and evaluation with practice.
- Under direction, with wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative, help develop and implement monitoring, evaluation and research projects aimed at improving effective protection, management and restoration of NYC Parks natural areas.
- Provide guidance on and review of proposals from other agencies that have an impact on the restoration, protection and management of the City's forests, wetlands and grasslands.
- Develop and implement field monitoring and assessment projects to support protection, conservation, restoration designs and adaptive management across multiple ecosystems.
- Compile and collect baseline data, conduct pre- and post-project monitoring and analyze and present data.
- Supervise interns and field staff.
- Provide expertise in development of ecological restoration designs based on site history and condition, existing species composition, appropriate plant material, soil and hydrologic properties and restoration goals.
- Provide scientific expertise to FHNR staff and collaborators, and develop partnerships with potential project stakeholders, including community groups and external researchers as appropriate.
- Provide technical guidance for preparing permits.
- Prepare presentations and reports for funders, collaborators and the public.
Salary: $70,286 - $80,000 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 5/26/2017*
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 266435
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
*Posting period extended to 5/26/2017. Pervious applicants to this posting are still under consideration and need not reapply. References will be required upon request.