The ESF is a non-profit organisation specialised in delivering support and services to the science community at large. We operate in a European environment and collaborate with major scientific stakeholders. In the frame of our development we invite applications for a Science Officer.
The mission of this position is to ensure the completion of ESF commitments, implement and carry out ESF's scientific activities and contribute to the development of new projects.
This position will involve:
- Management and implementation of European Commission funded projects at ESF and in particular managing and implementing the MERIL-2 project by completing and delivering tasks related to research infrastructures data acquisition and validation in view of completing and publishing quality-checked information on the MERIL portal (https://portal.meril.eu/meril/); ensuring the execution of the MERIL-2 project work-plan including the preparation of deliverables and reports to the European Commission; and supporting ESF (Coordinator of the project) in delivering the overall project's objectives.
- Applying creativity and initiative in mapping the European and international research and innovation landscape in search for new opportunities, customers, partners and projects.
- Contributing to the development of new projects (Peer Review, Evaluation, Career Tracking, EC or other external contracts...) and related required scientific processes at the request of the ESF management.
- Identifying peer review panel members, managing/coordinating peer review panels, following up peer review and evaluation missions.
- Implementing the ESF services and projects according to defined processes and deadlines, and other new ESF activities.
- Drafting proposals with the guidance from senior science staff management and ensuring compliance with European Commission and other international organisations contracts through full and timely reporting, in coordination with Administration and Finance and Human Resources departments.
- Overseeing and participating in the impartial implementation of scientific quality control, through regular peer review process of proposals and internal ESF guidelines.
- Ensuring the smooth running of, and support to, the ESF Expert Boards and Committees and providing quality papers, minutes and reports in a timely manner.
- Publicizing and informing the ESF community through publications and social media communication.
- Taking responsibility for the management and achievement of budgets for specific activities in compliance with ESF Financial Rules.
- Assisting the Corporate Science Officer in communicating to her/his direct staff a clear vision, strategy and priorities of the ESF.
The Science Officer should demonstrate the following competencies:
Specific technical competencies:
- Ph.D or equivalent research experience, preferably with a further 5+ years' research or science management experience. Knowledge of and experience in working within national, European or international research infrastructures and experience in the science areas of Biomedical sciences or Social sciences and Humanities would be an asset;
- Demonstrable experience in project management;
- Demonstrable experience of research management and coordination of scientific projects;
- Demonstrable experience of peer review and evaluation processes;
- Knowledge of European and national research organisation and institutions, and of European and international science policy (in particular in the area of research infrastructures (including digital and e-infrastructures);
- Demonstrable experience in writing papers, reports, publications and presentations;
- Basic knowledge and experience of people management in a performance-based human resources environment
- High standard of spoken and written English, with a working knowledge of another European language being an advantage;
- Good working knowledge of MS Office systems and of electronic databases and Web sites.
Specific personal competencies:
- Proven organisational skills and capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
- Ability to represent ESF in the scientific community and with research stakeholders;
- Assertive with ability to influence decision-making;
- Ability to create links and promote networking;
- Creative, willing to take initiative, and continuously improvement-minded;
- Excellent communication skills across cultural and scientific boundaries, showing discretion, diplomacy and tolerance;
- Excellent presentational skills;
- Action-orientated and responsible;
- Ability to work independently within the context of objectives set by the management;
- Transparency in working and a team-orientated work ethic;
- Positive and constructive attitude.
- This full-time position is offered for a 12 months contract, preferably starting as soon as possible, with the possibility of an extension.
- The person selected for the position will be working from Strasbourg head office. The position will involve significant travel.
Please send your application (cover letter + CV in English) by 23 May 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the following reference SOM2 2018. Interviews will be held in Strasbourg on 31 May 2018.
The ESF will not discriminate, nor allow its staff to discriminate, against any member of staff or applicant for employment or ex-employee on the basis of gender (including in cases of pregnancy or maternity); age; ethnic, national or social origin; religion or belief; sexual orientation; disability; political opinion; social or economic condition or health.