Principal Social Consultant
Cardiff, Wales, UK
SRK Consulting is an independent, international consulting practice, providing globally integrated consulting services to the international mining industry. The SRK Group employs over 1,400 professional consultants internationally and has 44 offices on 6 continents. SRK has been providing its clients with innovative, practical and cost effective solutions for over 35 years. Our client base covers a wide range of industries, particularly within the resources and engineering sectors.
SRK Consulting (UK) Ltd is based in Cardiff, Wales - Europe's youngest capital city. We offer a variety of interesting and challenging projects working from a capital city location. Many of our projects are of an international nature and utilise SRK's international consulting network.
SRK Consulting (UK) is seeking a Principal Level Social Scientist. The work involved in undertaking this role may include the following activities, as well as other responsibilities as required:
- Undertaking the following specialist activities: stakeholder engagement; socio-economic impact assessment; corporate social responsibility due diligence; social liabilities evaluation
- Preparing socio-economic management plans and resettlement and community development plans
- Reviewing specialist SIA reports and social management plans produced by clients or their consultants
- Project management and co-ordination including: information control, planning and programming of works, commercial and contractual control, procurement, ensuring progress meetings are undertaken, production of progress and financial reports, close liaison with the client and their representatives, safety and quality control
- Proposal preparation including co-ordination of SRK teams members (from UK and other offices), identification of sub-consultants (where necessary), proposal writing, budget preparation and liaison with client representatives
- Mentoring consultant and senior level staff as required
Essential requirements of the role include:
- Degree or equivalent in a social (preference) or environmental discipline with a higher degree in a social discipline and/or the majority of experience gained internationally
- Previous experience of undertaking large SIAs and contributing to project development studies, ideally for international (non-UK) projects and for a variety of natural resource commodities
- Evidence of exposure to various environmental disciplines including air, water, geochemistry, noise, biodiversity/ecology and how these relate to socio-economic situations
- Knowledge of the Equator Principles and IFC Performance Standards, other international best practice
- Strong communication skills with knowledge of working with different communities and cultures. A second language, ideally French would be an advantage but is not essential
- Proven leadership and team building experience, working self sufficiently also within a team environment
- Business development skills - business development will act as a crucial part of the role
- Proficient in Microsoft office - Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, database management experience with other standard software packages would be an advantage but is not essential.
This position involves working in multi-disciplinary teams on a range of projects in the UK and overseas. International travel will form a large part of the role.
In return, we offer a competitive salary package, including performance based bonus, group personal pension scheme, employee share participation as well as optional private medical and health screening schemes. The SRK Group is an independent group, owned by its employees offering diversity of projects and clients.
For consideration in strict confidentiality email your CV to:
B Gallimore, Recruitment Co- ordinator
Alternatively submit your CV using the online application form:
Please visit our website on: www.srk.co.uk for further information about SRK.
Closing date: Until filled
Salary Scale (Inclusive of Pension): £ Competitive depending on skills