Join CIFOR and make a difference
Post Doctoral Fellow, Management and Conservation of Forests and Trees
Forests and Environment Programme
Lima, Peru (Vacancy Ref. 1231)
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) advances human wellbeing, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to inform policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. We are one of 15 Centres within the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, and we have offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
We are looking for people who share our mission and our commitment to professionalism, innovation, impact and collaboration. We currently have an exciting job opportunity as a Post Doctoral Fellow, Management and Conservation of Forests and Trees.
Under the supervision of the Principal Scientist/CRP Focal Point for Component 2 , the post doc will be responsible for fieldwork and preparation of high-quality publications, create and maintain effective collaboration with national and local research and development organisations as reflected in the co-authorship of publications and reports related to joint activities, and assist colleagues at the Lima office and CIFOR headquarters in keeping a wide research agenda on multiple forest use in the Amazon Basin as reflected in the development of proposals, multimedia products and related activities as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake research related to multiple forest use for the provision of goods and services (at least two peer reviewed articles submitted during the contract period: one with a biophysical emphasis (impacts of timber harvesting on NTFP production) and another one with a policy emphasis)
- Identify and develop potential funding opportunities in the region (one proposal)
- Contribute to the CRP6.2 Operational Plan on multiple forest use outputs (Themes 3 and 4)
- Contribute to the development of a wider research strategy related to multiple forest use in the Western Amazon
- Represent CIFOR at scientific and dissemination events related to the topic (conferences and workshops)
- Ability and willingness to spend significant amounts of time in the field and liaise effectively with local partners.
Details of duties, assignments and objectives will be further discussed and laid out in the staff's annual performance contract.
Education, Experience and Technical Skills
- Recent (< 3 yr) Ph.D. in a relevant discipline: forestry, forest ecology, natural resource management.
- Excellent quantitative biophysical research skills and good social science skills
- Demonstrated record of current network of research collaborators in the Western Amazon
- Fully bilingual in English and Spanish. Fluency in Portuguese is an asset.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Good project management and organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment
- Have initiative and able to work independently
- Proven teambuilding and teamwork capacity
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning, and is committed to staff's development
Terms and Conditions:
- Competitive remuneration in US dollars commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for a period of two years with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources
- The duty station will in Lima, Peru.
- The application deadline is 30 June 2012.
- We will acknowledge all applications, but we will contact only short-listed candidates.
Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR
Please indicate the position and its reference number in the email subject line.
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at http://www.cifor.org.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.