As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
By seconding qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to sustainably improving the living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
Field of activity
The programme acts at provincial and national level to secure and strengthen the management, instruments and availability of national policy measures. The institutions that are involved in, and responsible for, sustainable natural resource management and environmental protection simultaneously form the implementing project partners and the target group (Ministry of Environment, sector coordination, provincial government, local authorities, etc.). The programme aims to reforest selected areas by applying measures to restore soil functions, and conducting activities that build on the local development strategy. In the provinces, one of the instruments used by the Congolese Institute for Nature Conservation (ICCN) to promote activities for maintaining biodiversity is the strategy of community-based environmental protection.
Balanga sector borders Lomami National Park to both the east and west. Good, sustainable and local development must therefore be accompanied by:
- Protection of biodiversity.
- Participation of and support for the local population.
- Reduction in the misuse of natural resources.
- Restoration of wildlife.
- Generation of activities enabling the sustainable extraction and gathering of timber.
- Support the local administrative units in creating and updating a local development plan that considers the sustainable use of biodiversity and forest resources.
- Provide support in the use of participatory planning procedures.
- Support the coordination of donors and implementing partners.
- Implementing selected measures for protecting biodiversity and for Reforestation.
- Creation of a monitoring system for implementing the development plan.
- Professional qualification in natural resource management, agriculture, forestry or social science, with a focus on rural development planning.
- Previous working experience in a similar role.
- Stress management.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation.
- Diplomatic skills, contextual analysis, willingness to adapt, the ability to work in a team.
- Good French language skills.