As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The Sustainability and Increased Added Value in the Cotton Industry global programme is part of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) special initiative 'One World - No Hunger'. It focuses in particular on increasing the production of sustainable cotton and strengthening downstream processing stages. The approach is intended to raise incomes in the cotton industry and create new employment prospects. The partner countries of the global programme are Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Uzbekistan and India. Cameroon is the fifth largest cotton producer in sub-Saharan Africa. However, less than 2% of the cotton fibres produced are processed in the state-owned textile industry to make yarn and fabric. The primary target group of the programme is small farmers who cultivate cotton in the Extrême Nord, Nord and Adamaoua regions. Cotton producers face a wide range of challenges, amongst other things due to the monopoly held by the parastatal cotton company Société de Développement du Coton (SODECOTON).
- Assuming responsibility for overall management of the Cameroon country package and its contribution towards achieving the objectives of the Sustainability and Increased Added Value in the Cotton Industry global programme
- Managing the coherent implementation of all project activities in the field, in consultation with the steering unit in Germany
- Supporting the cluster coordinator in getting the new priority area of rural development in Cameroon on track
- Coordinating project activities with projects that focus on rural development and with other relevant development cooperation projects in Cameroon, especially with regard to the project regions in northern Cameroon and in the cotton sector
- Advising the Ministry of Agriculture, the Ministry of Industry and the Ministry of Small and Medium Sized Enterprises, Social Economy and Handicrafts, the national confederation of cotton producers in Cameroon and other associations and stakeholders in the cotton industry with regard to sustainable cultivation methods and strengthening downstream processing stages
- Ensuring the ongoing conceptual development and implementation of the project in Cameroon in line with the concept of the global programme while aligning with and utilising synergies for the new development cooperation programme in the priority area of rural development
- Performing gender-sensitive results monitoring and reporting to the global programme's steering unit in Germany
- Representing the GIZ project in the cluster and outwardly in conjunction with the cluster, assuming responsibility for human resources management for international and national project personnel, and performing budget planning and control
- University-level degree in the area of agricultural science or agricultural economics, vocational training in agriculture and/or another relevant area with an emphasis on rural development and agriculture
- Many years' professional experience in international cooperation in rural areas, preferably in French-speaking sub-Saharan Africa
- Several years' professional experience in project management, in particular in budget planning and control, as well as in the implementation of complex agricultural projects in international cooperation and/or development cooperation
- Several years' professional experience in managing teams and implementing projects
- Initial professional experience in providing policy advice and sustainability-oriented agricultural advice, preferably relating to the promotion of the private sector and value chains
- Excellent ability to communicate with different groups of individuals (partners, private businesses, non-governmental organisations, farmers' associations) in a politically sensitive context
- Intercultural and political awareness, diplomatic talent and a confident manner
- Excellent written and spoken German (C2) and a fluent command of French and English (B2)
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 09/12/2019.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=44047
You can find this job under the Job-ID P1533V844.