Job Advertisement No. B 70/12/EW (B 4.4)
The Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BUNDESANSTALT FÜR GEOWISSENSCHAFTEN UND ROHSTOFFE, BGR) has a vacancy for a
Computer Scientist (Field of Geoinformatics)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design of an integral concept for the development of a web-based geotechnical-engineering geological analysis and evaluation system focusing on urban area building ground assessment within the scope of intended German governmental technical cooperation projects;
- Elaboration of a specific technical specification (bidding documents) to be used in a public contract award procedure aiming at the IT-related implementation of the aforementioned concept;
- Coordination of all required activities during the public contract award procedure among the BGR administration department and the successful tenderer (contractor);
- Scientific-technical steering/monitoring of the concept implementation by the successful tenderer;
- Testing of partly completed modules and of the prototype of the geotechnical-engineering geological analysis and evaluation system at the BGR headquarter applying available data and models;
- Drafting of accompanying documents (explanation reports, guidelines, instructions, etc.) for the successive utilization of the geotechnical-engineering geological analysis and evaluation system within the scope of intended German governmental technical cooperation projects
- Final acceptance of the contracts work;
- Project control of an internal BGR team.
- Academic degree (M.A. or comparable) in geoinformatics or a comparable geoscientific or engineering specialization with advanced subject-specific training in engineering geology or geotechnics/soil engineering;
- Profound skills in the designing of logical data models and applications preferably in the field of spatial-related urban area building ground assessment;
- Experiences in the application of appropriate IT-tools, especially (Web-) GIS, databases and geological modeling applications;
- Sound knowledge of an advanced computer language is requested; skills in PYTHON are advantageous;
- Experiences in the steering of public contract award procedure are beneficial;
- Very good skills in English are required; basics in German language are advantageous;
- Ability to communicate interpersonally and social competence
- Experience in projects of technical cooperation projects is beneficial.
This post is classified in the E 13/E 14 grade band of the German public sector's salary scale (according to TVöD).
Location is the BGR headquarters, Hanover (Germany).
The contract is for two years starting at the earliest possible date. Unfortunately, applicants who were employed by the Federal Republic of Germany within the past three years cannot be taken into consideration.
BGR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and from severely handicapped persons.
If you are interested in the vacancy, please send us your detailed application including CV and copies of relevant certificates. Please refer to the keyword "ISBR" and the reference number B 70/12/EW. The closing date for applications is 11.05.2012
Please submit your application per Email to Bewerberkorrespondenz@bgr.de or to
Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR)
Stilleweg 2, 30655 Hannover, Germany
For further information about this vacancy, please don't hesitate to contact Mr. Lege at Thomas.Lege@bgr.de or by phone +49/511/643-3001.
More information about BGR can be found online at the BGR web site (www.bgr.bund.de).