[French department : Loiret ]
Department: Departent of Data Science for the Geosciences (DNG)/[Department of Digital Geosciences]
Starting date: as soon as possible
Contract: 12 months
Education and Experience:
- PhD degree in digital geosciences or data science with a specialization in ontology and web semantics (knowledge engineering) applied to environmental sciences;
- at least 3 years of experience in structuring knowledge (concepts and languages of the semantic web, alignment of ontologies), as well as building data webs (concept of linked data);
- Current and sustained research publication record in peer-reviewed accredited journals.
The candidate ideally has a good knowledge of interoperability standards and an interest in the activities of the international consortia developing them (W3C, OGC, etc.). He/She will be able to refer to and adequately apply them in R&D projects, in which he will be involved.
The candidate has experience in supervising students at at least MSc level, and has successfully implemented/worked with geographic information systems.
English will be your regular working language, including within the BRGM.
Job context and contributions
The BRGM restructured in late 2021 and created a new department for data science applied to the geosciences. Its objective is threefold: (1) to conduct research in data management including data processing and delivery modes, (2) to design and implement platforms for researchers, and (3) to set up digital services (databases, websites, 3D modelling and visualization tools, etc.).
The successful candidate will join the new Data Processing team (TIA), in charge of developing digital processes using Artificial Intelligence approaches. He/She will also interact with DNG's DATA team, responsible for managing and structuring the scientific data in order to ensure consistency throughout the data life cycle.
- Proposition and consolidation of an in-house knowledge model, linked to national and international data models developed thanks to world-wide standardization efforts, which the BRGM has already been contributing to (OGC, WMO);
- Organization and animation of workshops with BRGM partners to assist with the knowledge formalization process for each discipline. Also, participation in work groups discussing terminology and cataloging issues in connection with various BRGM consortium projects (IR DataTerra, EPOS, ENVRI FAIR)
- Development of appropriate processes allowing optimal semantic interoperability between BRGM repositories and external information systems, which they are interacting with (IR DataTerra, EPOS, ENVRI FAIR);
- Monitoring of European and international distributed systems and communities (EPOS, OGC, ENVRI-FAIR, Research Data Alliance) in order to suggest improvements and make the in-house work compliant with international recommendations
- Promotion of technology advances via scientific publications, as well as presentation of the research work at international congresses.
- Proficiency in structuring knowledge (concepts and languages of the semantic web, construction and alignment of ontologies) and building a web of data (concepts of linked data),
- Good knowledge of interoperability standards and web data (W3C recommendations for knowledge representation),
- Semantic Web technologies and languages: SPARQL, SKOS, RDF, RDFS, OWL,
- Ability to work independently; autonomy is necessary to participate in multidisciplinary international groups,
- Good communication and interpersonal skills,
- Fluency in English (written and spoken); oral skills must be sufficient to do international teamwork and to promote the work carried out in-house at an international level.
This position requires short-term travel in France and abroad.
Within an environment that promotes a healthy work/life balance, particularly thanks to remote working, BRGM prides itself on providing a friendly and caring place to work.
Awarded HRS4R certification in 2021, we are committed to supporting you throughout your career at BRGM. We provide you with a range of tools for developing your skills and expertise, with scope for career progression and geographic mobility.
At BRGM, you will gain from such benefits as a 13th month salary, days off compensating for unpaid overtime, a company canteen, sports facilities as well as holiday and leisure options.
All our positions are open to people with disabilities.
Please send your application in French or English accompanied by an up to date resume and cover letter to until 06/30/2022