The Managers of the Herchel Smith Postdoctoral Research Fellowships Fund invite applications for up to two
Fellowships to be held in Departments in the School of the Physical Sciences (SPS) at the University of Cambridge
from 1 October 2018 (or otherwise by negotiation). Fellowships are available for two-three years and provide an
opportunity for independent research, although the holders will usually work in close collaboration with established
research groups in one of the Departments in the School. Fellows will receive an annual research allowance of up to
£15,000, in addition to the advertised stipend, and must pursue their research on a full-time basis in Cambridge.
We welcome applications from researchers in the broad fields of either geophysics or biophysics.
In accordance with Dr Smith's will, candidature is limited to candidates who have obtained their PhD degree, or
equivalent, within the last three years at any university but normally excluding Cambridge and Harvard.
Fellowships can only be offered to those with less than three years of postdoctoral experience by the time the award is
All applications, including required documents and references must be submitted online through the University's
recruitment system. Only applications which include ALL of the following will be considered:
- Department support letter: Each candidate is required to submit a letter from a SPS Department in Cambridge outlining their willingness to host and support the candidate's research during the Fellowship. Candidates are advised to contact the relevant Department and/or PI(s) directly prior to submission.
- Research project summary: One page summary of proposed project, including the name of the SPS Department which you hope to join.
- Research project description: A detailed description (maximum 4 pages) of the proposed project. You should consult the relevant Department and/or other resources to ensure that your proposal is appropriately related to the group which you hope to join.
- Curriculum vitae: Maximum 3 pages, outlining academic career, qualifications with full list of publications to date; Please include hyperlinks of 3 best publications (not full copies).
- References: 3 completed references will be required by 12 January 2018. Please ensure that selected referees are fully contactable throughout the process. Upon submission of your application, referees will be directly contacted to request that they upload a reference for you on the University's online recruitment system.
Information about the School of Physical Sciences and its Departments can be found on the School's website:
https://www.physsci.cam.ac.uk/departments. Information about the Department of Earth Sciences can be found on our
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for a maximum of 3 years.
Please quote reference LB13613 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
The University and the Department is committed to equality and diversity, and we would particularly welcome
applications from women and minority candidates. Details of some of the family-friendly policies operated by the
University are at: http://www.hr.admin.cam.ac.uk/pay-benefits/cambens-employee-benefits/family-friendly. The
University holds an institutional Athena-SWAN silver award and the Department holds an Athena-SWAN bronze
Further particulars and information at http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/15316/ or contact the Administrator
(firstname.lastname@example.org). For discipline-related queries, please contact the relevant Head of Department or PI directly.