The Christian-Albrechts-Universität (CAU) Kiel is now founding the "Centre of Excellence in Geo-Energy". The aim of the centre is the use and the protection of the geological subsurface as a resource to provide and support the use of technologies for the extraction and storage of geo-energies. The centre of excellence is offering a
starting on January 1st 2019. The position is assigned to the chair in geohydromodelling at the Institute for Geosciences.
In the frame of the "Centre of Excellence in Geo-Energy", professional data management systems play an essential role and form a central platform for processing, linkage and storage of complex data sets. They provide additional geodata for modelling of the energy system and the visualization of variable modelling data on a spatial and temporal scale. The 3D/4D-visualisation represents an elementary method for assessing and communication for diverse scenarios on the base of calculated modelling data.
The occupation may commence as soon as the positions funding by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) has been approved. The position is limited to three years. This is a full-time position (38.7 h/week). Partial employment and flexible working time models are basically possible. The salary will be paid in accordance with the German tariff for public employees (TV-L E 13).
Job duties and requirements:
- Planning, structuring and developing geological data management and visualization system to manage spatial and temporal datasets in the geological subsurface
- Design and development of new and innovative methods to link the complex data set of the geotechnical and energetic use in the 3-dimensional area of the geological subsurface with the characteristics of the land surface and their energy systems
- Integration of geotechnical energy storage sites into the energy supply and of economically feasible scenarios
- Technical support: care, documentation and protection of the geological data management and visualization system including support of users and improvement of the manageability
- Intense cooperation and network with internal and external partners of the "Centre of Excellence Geo-Energy"
Skills and qualifications:
- Completed master degree in geography, informatics, geosciences or related disciplines
- Good programming experience
- Experience with spatial and temporal distributed geo-data analysis
- Skills for use and care of data management systems
- Experience in the development and implementation of evaluation methods and visualisation of 3-dimensional data
- Willingness and independent training in the field of geo-energy systems
- Enjoyment of interdisciplinary work
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently, but also as part of a large research team
- Proficient German and English language skills
The Christian-Albrechts-Universität (CAU) Kiel aims to increase the number of women in the scientific research and lecture and therefore encourages women to apply. Women with equivalent suitability, qualification and professional performance will be given priority.
The CAU aims to increase the number of disabled applicants and encourages scientists with disabilities to apply. Qualified disabled applicants will receive preference in the application process.
Further, we expressly welcome applications from people with a migration background.
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Sebastian Bauer (email@example.com), Institute for Geoscience, Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel.
Please forward your applications with the standard documentation (cover letter, curriculum vitae, certificates and contact details of two referees) by November 29th, 2018 referencing code "Geo-Energy Geological Data Manager" preferred by e-mail (all documents merged into one PDF file) to Dr. Dirk Schäfer (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please forward your written applications to:
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Institute for Geoscience
Dr. Dirk Schäfer
Subject: Job announcement "Geo-Energy" - Geological Data Management
We explicitly refrain from application pictures.