The Christian-Albrechts-Universität (CAU) Kiel is now founding the "Centre of Excellence in Geo-Energy". The aim of the centre is the use and the protection of the geological subsurface as a resource to provide and support the use of technologies for the extraction and storage of geo-energies. The centre of excellence is offering a
starting on January 1st 2019. The position is assigned to the chair of Marine and Terrestrial Geomechanics and Geotechnics at the Institute for Geosciences.
Solutions for the challenge of a transforming energy sector require a creative development of materials and constructions, modifications of existing materials and constructions, and the development of new experimental procedures or the adaption of existing procedures on the area of geoenergies and geotechnologies. These aims require a continuous development on the sector of geoenergy, like production, transport and storage of energy.
The occupation may commence as soon as the positions funding by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) has been approved. The position is limited to three years. This is a full-time position (38.7 h/week). Partial employment and flexible working time models are basically possible. The salary will be paid in accordance with the German tariff for public employees (TV-L E 13).
Job duties and requirements:
- Scientific development and practical application of methods for the development of new materials and their characterisation
- Support and realisation of complex geomechanical experiments from small to large scale under on- and off-shore conditions
- Application of the experiments and evaluation of the results with respect to life cycle process monitoring and aging of materials
- Development and application of new monitoring strategies
- Optimisation of measurement procedures and sensors for the experiments
- Programming of experimental controls with Labview
- Independent organisation, realisation and support of experiments on lab-, pilot- and full-scale
- Independent evaluation of time dependent and independent data
- Support of joint research projects with industry, science and administration
- Representation of the topic "Geomechanics and Geotechnics" for the centre of excellence
- Support of national standardisation and certification of new materials and technical systems
- Support of students and colleagues
- Support of further training lectures for industry, administration and students
Skills and qualifications:
- Completed master degree in geomechanics, geotechnics, applied geosciences or civil engineering
- Experience in geotechnical and geomechanical laboratory and pilot-plant testing
- Experience with control systems for technical equipment and digital assessment of data
- Excellent skills with lab-specific software (LabView)
- Experience with statistics, signal analysis, evaluation of measured data
- Data processing experience with latex and office
- Ability to work independently, but also as part of a large interdisciplinary research team
- Experience with a higher programming language is welcome
- Proficient German and English language skills
- Flexible, resilient, sovereign and discrete personality
- Driving licence category B and C1
The Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel strongly encourages women with appropriate qualifications to apply for the position. Women with equivalent qualifications, competence and expertise will be given preference.
The University also supports the employment of disabled persons. Persons with disabilities will, with appropriate qualification and aptitudes, be employed preferentially.
Further, we expressly welcome applications from people with a migration background.
For further information, please contact Ms. Glenewinkel (firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +49 431 880 1978), Institute for Geoscience, Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel.
Please forward your applications with the standard documentation (cover letter, curriculum vitae, certificates and contact details of two referees) by November 29th, 2018 referencing code "Geo-Energy Method Developer" preferred by e-mail (all documents merged into one PDF file) to Ms. Glenewinkel (email@example.com). Please forward your written applications to:
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Institute for Geoscience
Subject: Job announcement "Geo-Energy" - Method Developer
We explicitly refrain from application pictures.