The Christian-Albrechts-Universität (CAU) Kiel is now founding the "Centre of Excellence in Geo-Energy". The aim of the centre is the use and the protection of the geological subsurface as a resource to provide and support the use of technologies for the extraction and storage of geo-energies. The centre of excellence is offering a
starting on January 1st 2019. The position is assigned to the chair in geohydromodelling at the Institute for Geosciences.
The conception, dimensioning and evaluation of geotechnical energy systems requires the use of suitable simulation software and numerical modelling to analyse the spatial structure of the systems and the geological subsurface. Accordingly, the main task of this position is the establishment of deployment concepts of geotechnical energy systems, especially of geothermic energy systems, as well as the planning and performance for the dimensioning and evaluation of the required simulations.
The occupation may commence as soon as the positions funding by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) has been approved. The position is limited to three years. This is a full-time position (38.7 h/week). Partial employment and flexible working time models are basically possible. The salary will be paid in accordance with the German tariff for public employees (TV-L E 13).
Job duties and requirements:
- Characterization of subsurface processes inside and outside of the geotechnical energy systems
- Development and implementation of suitable simulation concepts for planning, dimensioning and evaluation of the systems under energy and environmental aspects
- Testing of innovative approaches in laboratory and pilot-plant testing and their practical applications
- Performance of numerical scenario simulations
- Documentation and conceptual development of systems and their applications
- Use of scientific process software for scenario simulations
- Documentation of results and the used workflows
- Technical guidance for users
- intense cooperation and network with internal and external partners of the "Centre of Excellence Geo-Energy"
Skills and qualifications:
- Completed doctoral degree in the field geosciences, engineering sciences or related disciplines
- Professional skills in the research field of internal and external energy systems and process understanding
- Experience in the application of numerical simulations for scenario analysis
- Willingness and independent training in the field of geothermic energy systems and geoscientific basics
- Enjoyment of interdisciplinary work
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently, but also as part of a large research team
- Proficient German and English language skills
The Christian-Albrechts-Universität (CAU) Kiel aims to increase the number of women in the scientific research and lecture and therefore encourages women to apply. Women with equivalent suitability, qualification and professional performance will be given priority.
The CAU aims to increase the number of disabled applicants and encourages scientists with disabilities to apply. Qualified disabled applicants will receive preference in the application process.
Further, we expressly welcome applications from people with a migration background
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Sebastian Bauer (email@example.com), Institute for Geoscience, Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel.
Please forward your applications with the standard documentation (cover letter, curriculum vitae, certificates and contact details of two referees) by November 29th, 2018 referencing code "Geo-Energy Modelling of Energy Systems" preferred by e-mail (all documents merged into one PDF file) to Dr. Dirk Schäfer (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please forward your written applications to:
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Institute for Geoscience
Dr. Dirk Schäfer
Subject: Job announcement "Geo-Energy" - Modelling of Energy Systems
We explicitly refrain from application pictures.