The Centre de Recherche Public - Gabriel Lippmann, a fast growing public establishment for applied scientific research and technology transfer in Luxembourg, has an opening on a permanent contract basis for its internationally recognized Department 'Environment and Agro-biotechnologies' (EVA) for a:
Project Leader in Remote Sensing and
Duties and responsibilities:
The selected candidate will lead a research team focusing on the understanding of the physiological mechanisms underlying plant mediated exchange processes.
A specific emphasis is set on related scale dependency processes from leave to ecosystem levels. The selected candidate has expertise in remote sensing (especially fluorescence, hyperspectral and/or thermal techniques) as well as in gas-exchange and flux measurements to scale and quantify the spatio-temporal variations of plant mediated exchange processes. She/he will work at the interface between plant ecophysiology and remote sensing.
The selected candidate will have to develop and maintain a nationally and internationally recognized innovative and interdisciplinary research program. The research activity must be balanced between basic and applied research and must attract external funding (e.g. FP7, ESA).
The selected candidate will exploit the potential for interdisciplinary research to improve our understanding of ecosystem processes at different scales, both through in-house competencies in remote sensing, hydrology, climatology, biology, agronomy and pedology, as well as through external partner institutions.
Providing leadership to direct research and mentoring graduate students is essential.
- PhD in geosciences, biological sciences, physical geography, ecology, or environmental sciences with a specialisation in remote sensing and ecophysiology.
- Knowledge in plant and canopy functioning, canopy-atmosphere exchange processes, measurement of fluxes, remote sensing of land surface processes.
- Knowledge in (hyperspectral) thermal remote sensing would be considered as an advantage.
- Experience with common digital image processing and GIS software (ESRI ArcGIS, Erdas/Imagine, IDL/ENVI) is required.
- 3-5 years of experience in a similar position in a R&D environment (public or private), with proven organizational skills and experience with fund-raising in national and/or European R&D funding.
- The candidate must have a record of publications in peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Applicants must demonstrate good skills in oral communication, an aptitude for grant writing, project management, team leadership in an interdisciplinary research group, and an interest to work on intra- and interdepartmental multidisciplinary projects.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to work productively in a team environment are essential attributes.
- International experience and interest are required.
- The candidate must be fluent in English (scientific exchange) and have a good knowledge of French (administrative language) or German.
For applying, the candidates should provide the following documents:
- a letter of motivation,
- a curriculum vitae including a list of research support and publications,
- the names and addresses of three references,
- a report:
- detailing the past and current research activities, the technologies applied, the results obtained,
- outlining the research visions for the group in relation with the scientific evolution of the domain and the societal needs,
- documenting the managerial experience (acquisition of new projects, administrative management of projects, leadership of a research team).
Candidates who are interested in the above position should send their application (with the above reference) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (format: .doc or .pdf).