- Launch your research career in mineral chemistry associated with magmatic ore deposits.
- Be mentored by leading scientists in the field.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's largest and most innovative research organisation!
Postdoctoral Fellowships at CSIRO provide opportunities to scientists and engineers, who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral research experience. Attaining one of these fellowships will help launch your career and, provide research experience and c onnections that will enhance your career prospects.
As a Postdoctoral Fellow you will work closely with a leading Research Scientist or Engineer to carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO, with the possibility of novel and important scientific outcomes. You will present the findings in appropriate publications and at conferences.
In this role you will join a dynamic team investigating the fundamental science of magmatic sulfide and sea floor hydrothermal ore deposits. You will focus primarily on investigating chemical compositions of a range of non-sulfide minerals associated with magmatic sulfide ore deposits in mafic and ultramafic rocks, and investigation of the potential to use these signatures as distal footprint indicators and vectors to ore.
Specifically you will:
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Play a major role in calibrating and operating an existing laser ablation - ICPMS facility at CSIRO in Perth
- Investigate trace element signatures and inclusion populations of a range of accessory minerals including micas, amphiboles, oxides, apatite and zircon in a wide range of magmatic sulfide ore deposits
- Establish workflows for systematic identification, extraction and analysis of resistate indicator minerals from exploration material including percussion drill spoil, using a range of techniques including SEM, microbeam XRF and LA-ICPMS.
- Play a role in integrating these workflows into active industry-funded research projects.
- Work closely with data analytics specialists on the integration of large volumes of mineral composition data into large exploration datasets.
- Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
Location: Kensington, Perth WA
Salary: $81K - $88K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Reference Number: 32903
Term: Specified Term of 3 years
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Earth Science and/or analytical chemistry
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including at national and international conferences.
- Experience with producing publication-quality chemical analysis of minerals using laser ablation - ICPMS
- Experience in the application of chemical data in geoscience research
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
CSIRO Mineral Resources is working closely with industry partners, we deliver innovation to grow Australia's resource base, increase productivity and drive environmental performance.
How to Apply: Please provide sufficient information relevant to the requirements of this position to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability. Upload one document only containing your CV/resume and cover letter.
Before you apply please view the full position description and selection criteria here: Position Details
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEDT, Sunday 5th March 2017