Job Role Summary
ExxonMobil Research and Engineering has an immediate opening for a postdoctoral position in Biogeochemistry in the Hydrocarbon Science Section of its Corporate Strategic Research Laboratory in Annandale, NJ. The postdoctoral researcher would work as part of a team using high-resolution LC-MS to investigate the diagenesis of organic matter in sediments as well as related projects in analytical biogeochemistry.
ExxonMobil's Corporate Strategic Research Laboratory conducts fundamental research with a staff of over 200 scientists and engineers in diverse disciplines. The laboratory features excellent support and analytical facilities, an international staff, and is strongly integrated with the external scientific community. Our facilities are centrally located in scenic Annandale, New Jersey, approximately 50 miles from both New York City and Philadelphia.
Job Role Responsibilities
- Work as part of a team investigating the diagenesis of organic matter in sediments
- Design and perform experimental and analytical work in biogeochemistry and organic geochemistry related to biologically sourced molecules in sedimentary and hydrocarbon systems
- Develop new analytical techniques for chromatographic and mass spectrometric analyses of microbial lipids using our state-of-the art HPLC-, 2D-LC- and SFC-QToF MS system
- Collaborate effectively with other researchers within the company as well as academic researchers
Expected Level of Proficiency
- A PhD in Geoscience or Chemistry, with specialization in organic geochemistry, biogeochemistry, oceanography or related fields
- Experience with LC-MS analysis of organic compounds, including sample preparation and data processing
- Strong attention to detail and experience in sample processing for trace level compound analysis
- Ability to think creatively and develop new research directions
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate in multi-disciplinary teams, and a desire to publish in top-quality refereed journals, and to participate in external technical meetings
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Additional experience in marine biogeochemistry, stable isotope geochemistry, metabolomics, paleoceanography, microbiology, and/or advanced chromatography techniques (e.g. LC×LC, SFC) will be given special consideration. High-resolution mass spec experience preferred.
ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.