Fugro are the world's leading, independent provider of geo-intelligence and asset integrity solutions for large constructions, infrastructure and natural resources. We provide the technical data and information required to design, construct and maintain large structures and infrastructure in a safe, reliable and efficient manner. Working around the globe, predominantly in energy and infrastructure markets, we employ approximately 11,000 employees in around 60 countries.
Our office in Wallingford delivers a number of key services supporting projects in both the marine and land environment.
The Fugro GB Marine Limited Advanced Laboratory is one of the most technical and largest advanced laboratories in the world and is currently looking for a suitable candidate to join the team as a Staff Laboratory Engineer.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities associated with this position include, but are not limited to:
- Perform the above mentioned advanced test types to the highest levels of quality, safety and testing standards;
- Make sure the most up to date test procedures provided by the company are being followed;
- Ensure that all equipment used in the Advanced areas of the Laboratory is working, calibrated and is fit-for-purpose;
- Take an active role in developing new working practices and methods to improve the efficiency and quality of advanced testing;
- Support and help commissioning of new equipment in the Advanced testing areas;
- Help in maintaining accreditation and promote good QA/QC practices for all staff;
- Assist in the processing, presenting and checking of advanced test results;
- Training of new technicians in the advanced team;
- Perform other classification and index testing in the laboratory as and when required;
- Attends offshore site investigation (optional).
- Good standard of general education, including a degree in a physical science especially courses that have soil mechanics or mechanics of materials (strength of materials). Alternatively, significant relevant experience.
- Excellent numeracy and literacy
- Excellent IT skills, particularly in using Excel Spreadsheets with embedded macros (having skills in data plotting sofware such as Origin is a bonus).
- Competent use of Email
- Good knowledge of soil behaviour and foundation engineering issues.
- Working unsupervised and takes ownership of tasks
- Excellent in team work and communication within the team
- Troubleshooting skills is a bonus.
- Candidates who have high grades in soil mechanics or mechanics of materials (strength of materials): none
- Candidates with degree in physical science: 2-3 years of relevant (e.g. geotechnical or geological) experience
- Candidates without a degree: 7 years relevant work experience of which one year should be in an accredited laboratory
Benefits for this role include a competitive salary accompanied by an attractive package including contributory pension scheme, life assurance, 24 days annual leave, private medical insurance and a subsidised restaurant.
Please apply by submitting a CV and covering letter, indicating your anticipated salary requirements, quoting reference 3237. Closing date for applications is 27 February 2018.
Fugro GB Marine Limited is an Equal Opportunities employer. All applications are judged on the relevant
skills and experience of the candidate only.