Job Vacancy No. 09/IUGG/12 G
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national Research Centre for Geosciences in Germany and a member of the Helmholtz Association. The International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG) is seeking to recruit a qualified candidate for the post of
IUGG Executive Secretary (m/f)
IUGG with a total of 69 member countries was founded in 1919 as a non-governmental international organization dedicated to advancing, promoting, and communicating knowledge of the Earth system, its space environment, and its on-going dynamic processes. The Union comprises eight semi-autonomous International Associations, each responsible for a specific range of topics or themes within the overall scope of Union activities. In addition, the IUGG establishes inter-Association Commissions and relationships with several other scientific bodies with similar interests. Through its constituent Associations, Commissions, and services, IUGG convenes international assemblies and workshops, undertakes research, assembles observations, gains insights, coordinates activities, liaises with other scientific bodies, plays and advocacy role, contributes to education, and works to expand capabilities and participation worldwide. Further information on the IUGG can be found under http://www.iugg.org.
The Executive Secretary reports to the IUGG Secretary General and to the IUGG Bureau and is responsible for implementing the plans of the organization and for the day-to-day operations of the IUGG. In this capacity, the candidate will be expected to provide the following basic services under the direction of the IUGG Secretary-General:
- Maintain correspondence and communication with IUGG National Committees, Adhering Organizations, IUGG Executive Committee, Associations, and Union Commissions and Committees
- Keep close contact with the Local Organizing Committee for IUGG General Assemblies
- Maintain IUGG electronic databases and keep technical documents in proper order in the IUGG Secretariat
- Supervise the IUGG web-master and prepare updates of the IUGG web-page in timely fashion
- Prepare supporting documents for the IUGG Bureau, Executive Committee and Council Meetings
- Prepare IUGG Annual Reports and edit IUGG Yearbooks ensuring the accuracy of the contact information
- Collect and compile data and information for the monthly IUGG E-Journals
- Assist in technical screening of IUGG grant applications
Qualifications IUGG is seeking candidates who:
- Have an advanced university degree in Earth and space sciences and a record in the conduct of scientific research
- Have experience in international collaboration and management of scientific programs
- Possess full command of written and spoken English. A working knowledge of French and a basic knowledge of other languages is considered an advantage.
The Executive Secretary will be employed by the Helmholtz Centre Potsdam GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences and will be located in Potsdam, Germany. The appointment will start on June 1, 2012 for a period of three years with an initial six-month term of probation. The incumbent is expected to reside in Potsdam, certainly after confirmation at the end of the probationary period. Further information may be obtained by writing in confidence to the IUGG Secretary General at Alik.Ismail-Zadeh@kit.edu.
Applications with full CV, list of publications and names of three references should be addressed to the GFZ by post or e-mail before March 1, 2012.
Abt. Personal und Sozialwesen