The Geological Survey of Estonia (GSE) is a research-oriented governmental institution which commenced operation as an affiliation with the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications in the beginning of January 2018. The GSE main objective is to serve as a primary source of geologic information for Estonia in order to enhance public understanding on issues related to geological mapping, groundwater, mineral resources as well as on environmental geology of Estonia.
The candidate should have an extended previous experience in using petrological and geochemical exploration methods suitable to evaluate the mineral resources potential of crystalline basement rocks in Estonia. The selected candidate responsibilities will include development of proposals, scopes of work, budgets, design, analytical decisions and management of complex data collection programs as well as preparation of reports and supporting documentation. The ability to be proactive and work with minimal supervision will be essential.
- 6+ years of research experience, PhD degree preferred;
- extended knowledge and expertise on major and trace element geochemistry and isotope geology;
- extended knowledge and expertise on modern geochemical techniques and applications;
- extended knowledge of main methods in mineral resources exploration and their application and interpretations;
- extended knowledge and expertise on metallogeny and ore formation features;
- extended knowledge on Precambrian geology, tectonics, geochemistry and petrology;
- extended knowledge on ore formation and geology of the Fennoscandian shield;
- project management skills;
- analytical and problem-solving skills;
- flexibility and adaptability;
- can work independently with little oversight/guidance;
- demonstrated ability to carry out independent original scientific work;
- language skills: a good spoken and written English, Russian is an advantage.
- research design and implementation of geological, petrological and geochemical methods in prospecting Earth resources in Phanerozoic sediment cover of Estonia as well as in Precambrian crystalline rocks.
Apply for the position at Geological Survey of Estonia by sending your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting reference "Metallogeny Geochemist".
Closing date for applications: 18 March 2018.