A member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR
employs about 1,200 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in
the areas energy, health and matter.
The Institute of Resource Ecology (IRE) performs research to protect humans and
the environment from hazards caused by pollutants resulting from technical
processes that produce energy and raw materials.
The Department of Reactive Transport of the IRE invites applications as PhD
Student (m/f/d) in the field of analysis of transport processes in geomaterials with
positron emission tomography (Geo-PET).
The position will be available from 01 February 2020. The employment contract is
limited to three years.
- analysis of transport processes in geomaterials with positron emission tomography (Geo-PET)
- parameter analysis including velocity field, effective volume etc. for transport model parametrization
- reactive transport model simulations with a focus on fractured rocks, cement-rock contact, etc.
- related to the geological barriers of underground waste repositories
- identification of theoretical implications for the analysis of preferential flow zones (i.e., tortuosity, breakthrough-curves, longitudinal evolution of tracer propagation patterns (dispersion)) and on reactivity (retention, accessible surface area, flow velocity effects, internal concentration gradients)
- publication of results in peer-reviewed journals
- We are seeking a talented and enthusiastic candidate for a doctoral student position in the ReactiveTransport Department (Research campus Leipzig), with MSc. degree in Applied Physics, Process/ Reservoir Engineering, or Earth/Environmental Sciences.
- desirable skills include:
- experimental/analytical talent
- willingness to use radionuclides for experiments
- experience in the analysis of porous/fractured material
- reactive transport modeling
- visualization and image analysis of time-dependent and static 3D-data (e.g. Avizo, Paraview)
- data processing (e.g., Python, R, C++)
- excellent communication skills in English, both verbally and written
- high scientific professional networking as well as scientific excellence
- internationality and diversity
- interesting and diverse tasks, flexible working hours, salary based on the collective agreement TVöD-Bund
- equality of opportunity and family-friendly structures, corporate health management
- attractive work and research terms in a highly motivated team
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/
transcripts, etc.) only via our Online-application-system.
For any questions, do
not hesitate to ask:
PD Dr. Cornelius Fischer
Tel.: +49 351 260 4660
Place of work:
15 November 2019
Job-Id: 118/2019 (900)
The HZDR is committed
to equal opportunity
employment and we
applications from qualified
female candidates. We
also carefully consider all
applications from job
candidates with severe
Bautzner Landstraße 400