IFE is an independent research foundation based in Norway at Kjeller and in Halden. We are at the forefront internationally in several fields within renewable energy, health, environmental technology, petroleum and nuclear technology. IFE is responsible for Norway's single nuclear waste storage for low and medium active waste. IFE develops new solutions for the industry and public sector in over 30 countries. We are about 600 employees and the annual turnover is about NOK 1 billion. For the Department of Environmental Analysis, we invite applications for a permanent position of
Researcher/Senior Researcher in Geochemistry or Environmental Chemistry
The Department of Environmental Analysis works on challenges mainly related to providing affordable energy to the world and development of climate solutions. This includes projects on CO2 storage, reservoir studies for the oil and gas industry and environmental technology used to monitor environmental toxins. The competence of the researchers and technical personnel in the department are varied and encompass:
- Laboratory and numerical studies of fluid-rock interaction related to hydrocarbon formation, migration, exploration and production, geothermal energy, CO2 injection and storage.
- Chemical characterization of geological formations for wide spectrum of surface and subsurface applications.
- Tracing of pollution and fingerprinting of contamination in ecological systems, landfills, industrial sites.
We have several laboratories with a wide selection of equipment for chemical analyses including both high precision ICP-MS and multi-collector ICP-MS instruments, a microscope Laser ablation ICP-MS setup (LA-ICP-MS), as well as several gas-source IRMS instruments, X-ray diffractometer, and several GC-MS instruments. Our laboratory is a part of the European infrastructure for carbon dioxide research ECCSEL (www.eccsel.org/). Alongside our research activities we offer several commercial analytical services for external customers in the areas of marine ecology, ground water geology, biogas producers and the oil and gas industry.
- You will conduct high-level international research primarily within the fields of hydrogeochemistry, petroleum geology and analytical chemistry.
- You are expected to successfully bid for competitive research funding sources and to initiate, prepare and lead national and international science and innovation projects in the field.
- You will establish liaison with industry and participate in technical marketing of analytical services.
- You will develop networks with international research groups and promote the use of ECCSEL infrastructure in EU projects.
- You will prepare client reports and publications for the peer-reviewed literature.
- You have a PhD degree in geoscience/geochemistry/hydrogeology/environmental science or a closely related discipline
- You have further record of scientific achievements (e.g. publications, third-party funding) and minimum 4 years of research and/or industry experience
- You must be highly motivated, have well-established networks with international research groups and be able to demonstrate an ability to attract external funding.
- Excellent communication skills in English are expected. Experience in the petroleum systems or petroleum geology is a merit for the position.
- Marketing and networking capabilities
- Ability to take initiatives, creative and solution-minded
- Good cooperation and communication skills
- Flexibility and self-motivation
- Exciting and challenging work in an interdisciplinary, international and growing environment
- Participation in scientific projects of high international relevance.
- Social benefits including pension, life insurance and accident insurance
- We offer a modern, well-equipped working environment with teams comprising competent, internationally engaged, and highly trained staff.
The institute is committed to equal opportunities and anti-discrimination. It welcomes applications from candidates of all nationalities and genders. Applications from handicapped candidates will be given priority in case of equivalent qualification. You will be located in Norway at our Kjeller office.
Applications should be submitted in English before 31 October 2019 via our website (https://201512.webcruiter.no/Main/Recruit/Public/4136332536?link_source_id=0) and include
- Cover letter, including motivations on
- why you are interested in the position
- what makes you suitable for the position
- Curriculum vitae with a list of publications
- Research statement
- Copies of educational certificates
- Publications in support of your application (no more than 3 files).
- The contact details of three referees
We use background check as a part of our recruitment process. Inquiries prior to application may be directed to the department head, Dr. Viktoriya Yarushina: Viktoriya.Yarushina@ife.no.
Further information about the Institute for Energy Technology and the Department of Environmental Analysis is available through: www.ife.no, www.ife.no/en/division/environmental-analysis/
As soon as possible.