Emploi: Chemical Engineer MC-ICP-MS and clean lab management
Discipline: Earth and ocean science
Spécialités: Marine Geochemistry
Contract type: Permanent/Tenured position, full-time contract
Structure d'accueil: Ifremer/ REM/ UGM/ LCG
The Institute and the recruiting department
French Research Institute for Exploitation of the Sea, Ifremer, through its research work and expert advice, contributes to knowledge of the oceans and their resources, to monitoring of marine and coastal environments and to the sustainable development of marine activities. To these ends, Ifremer conceives and operates tools for observation, experimentation and monitoring, and manage the oceanographic databases.
Created in 1984, Ifremer is a French public institute of an industrial and commercial nature. It is supervised jointly by the Ministry of Higher Education and Research and the Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy.
The Geochemistry Laboratory (LCG) which is one of the 3 research laboratories of the "Marine Geosciences" (GM) Research Unit at Ifremer has an international reputation of excellence in geochemistry of cold seeps and hydrothermal systems. The main research activities of LCG focus on the genesis, transport and transformations of chemical species at both cold seeps and hydrothermal systems, and for different geological settings. LCG's research finds applications in mineral and energy resources as well as in geohazards.
The LCG holds the MC-ICP-MS Neptune, one of the Mass Spectrometer of the "Pôle Spectrométrie Océan (PSO)" an analytical cluster that gathers several spectrometers ICP and IRMS. In order to strengthen its expertise in this field, the LCG invites applications for a permanent/tenured position in the area of MC-ICP-MS. The post holder will be in charge of the MC-ICP-MS Neptune and the associated analyses. He will also be in charge of the analytical planning of the machine, and will work in concert with the scientific researchers to train them and provide them with the better analytical solutions to achieve the accuracy needs.
General areas of responsibility (principal missions)
The successful applicant will carry out:
- Daily operation and technical management of MC-ICP-MS (Thermo Fisher Neptune)
- Clean lab management
- Mass spectrometry: routine isotopic analyses (sample preparation, tuning, data treatment), maintenance, analytical development, instrument performance survey, consumable purchase, user training
- Management of the use plan of the instrument
- Clean lab : sample preparation, equipment maintenance, consumable purchase, labware cleaning, user training and support
Collaborative work environment
- Internal : Maintain fruitful collaborations with other engineers of the PSO, and deeply involved in the scientific project of the Unit of Marine Geosciences, as well as other departments and units of Ifremer and PSO partners (CNRS, IEUM and IRD)
- External : Build national and international collaborations with universities, industries and similar analytical clusters
Required knowledge, skills, and characteristics
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities :
- Excellent knowledge in ICP Mass Spectrometry
- Knowledge in geochemistry would be appreciate
- Human qualities :
- Leadership and team spirit
- Open-mindedness, taste for analytical development
- Willingness to work at sea for sampling of geo- and biomaterials
- Analytical rigor and intellectual curiosity
Required education and experience
- Engineer in metrology or ICP-MS geochemistry
- At least 3 years of experiences in MC-ICP-MS and clean lab management
Specific working conditions
Clean lab work and analyses, occasional work at sea
The English version of this offer will be posted in the English version of our website, in Euraxess, and some social Networking sites (ex: Linkedin, twitter), if you need HR assistance in other kinds of sourcing solutions, please contact us.