The Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences are inviting applicants for a Research Fellow to participate in a join research project on 3D multi-observable probabilistic inversion between DeBeers and Macquarie University for the physical state of the lithosphere and upper mantle beneath selected regions within the African continent. The candidate will join a large research group (led by A/Prof Juan C. Afonso) on lithosphere and mantle dynamics/inversion and work primarily on implementing cutting-edge algorithms into existing programs developed at Macquarie (e.g. LitMod_4INV) as well as working on new methodological developments for large probabilistic inversions and applications to study the African lithosphere.
Although the new methods will be applied to real datasets to study specific regions in the African continent, the project has a major computational/programming component. Research tasks which will include i) programming (Fortran and Matlab), ii) testing, benchmarking and validating new algorithms/codes, iii) integrating datasets and big-data analysis, and iv) performing multi-observable inversions of datasets covering regions in Africa.
To be considered for these positions, applicants must respond to the selection criteria below and upload as a separate document in the application process.
- PhD in a relevant discipline i.e. geophysics, physics, applied mathematics, or computer sciences
- Extensive experience with Fortran and Matlab programming languages
- Extensive experience with geophysical datasets (e.g. seismic, magnetotelluric, gravity, etc)
- Publication record in leading research journals to commensurate with experience
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working independently and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated experience with probabilistic inverse theory
- Experience with MPI/parallel programming
from AUD$88,420 - AUD $94,760 p.a. (Level A, Step 6 to Step 8), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
full time, 2 years fixed-term appointment
Specific Role Enquiries:
Associate Professor, Juan Carlos Afonso via e-mail email@example.com
Wednesday, 21 February at 11:55pm AEST
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.