1 open position for a scientific assistant (PhD candidate) at the Chair of Petroleum Geology, Department for Applied Geosciences and Geophysics at Montanuniversitaet Leoben.
Application deadline: 15/09/2020
Starting date from October 2020 (the position will be filled immediately after the application deadline). The appointment duration is for three years, in which the successful applicant is expected to complete a PhD thesis. Remuneration for 30 working hours/week is € 2.205,60 (14x per year) excl. extra allowances (B1 Uni-KV).
- Geological characterization of sedimentary rocks for storage and geological barrier purposes (sedimentological description, optical microscopy, X-ray diffractometry, scanning electron microscopy, electron probe microanalysis, etc.)
- Planning and execution of petrophysical standard techniques for porosity determination (e.g., mercury intrusion capillary porosimetry)
- Execution of gas adsorption experiments (low/high pressure) for the determination of nanoporosity
- Execution of small angle X-ray and neutron scattering experiments (incl. the preparation of proposals for synchrotron-based experiments)
- Processing and interpretation of the acquired petrophysical data and integration with image-based porosity data (e.g., µ-CT, BIB-SEM, TEM)
- Optional: preparation of input data for numerical flow modelling
- Compilation of a PhD thesis on: pore space evolution in sedimentary rocks as a function of primary depositional environment and secondary diagenetic processes
This position forms part of a comprehensive research project on pore space characterization of sedimentary rocks for storage and natural barrier applications. A strong commitment to interdisciplinary and innovative experimental work characterizes the successful applicant.
- Related master's degree (e.g., Applied Geosciences, Materials Science, Physics)
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Profound knowledge in sedimentology (ideally in the context of hydrocarbon exploration, geothermal energy recovery, secondary storage)
- Experience in the application of several of the abovementioned analytical techniques
- Experience in the interpretation of petrophysical data
- Good command of written and spoken German
- Ability to work in a team; strong ability and motivation to learn new and complex tasks; proactive and self-responsible working attitude; strong affinity to a competitive scientific environment; willingness to publish in high-ranked scientific journals and eagerness in the preparation of a leading-edge PhD thesis
Please use the link below and follow the guidelines to complete an online application:
In case of any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please note that applications will only be considered further if an online form was submitted via the link given above)
Employment Equity: Montanuniversitaet Leoben aims at employment equity and diversity, and invites all qualified individuals to apply for the job.