Job Number: 4148
Location: Callaghan Campus, Newcastle, Australia
Employment Type: Full-time
Duration: 3 year fixed-term
Remuneration: From $ $87,803 per annum + 9.5% superannuation and is commensurate with experience.
At the University of Newcastle, Australia, our staff are curious. We think big, see opportunity and are open to ideas and ask why. We share wisdom and partner with colleagues in Australia and around the globe to create an enduring impact. And we're courageous - bold thinkers who have the confidence to take risks and to inspire change.
The University has an international reputation for research excellence and we continue to build on our research strengths, engagement with industry and partnering with outstanding international universities. Our commitment to the Student Experience and positive outcomes for graduates is fundamental to all aspects of our learning and teaching.
Located on 140 hectares of natural bushland, Callaghan. We have a reputation for having one of the most naturally beautiful campuses in Australia and is 12kms from beaches and the heart of Newcastle and 2 hours from Sydney.
Your NEW opportunity
The School of Environmental and Life Sciences (SELS) comprises six disciplines including applied sciences, biology, chemistry, earth sciences, geography and environmental studies and environmental science and management. SELS is highly research active in these discipline areas, with a focus on developing research and teaching skills that encourage critical thinking and problem solving strategies.
About your NEW role
In this 3-year fixed term position, the Research Scientist will take on an embedded researcher position in MinEx CRC
Program 3 - National Drilling Initiative (NDI) employed by the University of Newcastle (UON) and based at the Geological Survey of New South Wales (GSNSW).
Responsible for leading the research on cover sequences in the MinEx CRC NDI areas in NSW, this role focuses on the characterisation of the cover, its key interfaces and identification of the signatures of basement geology and mineral system footprints within cover material.
The successful applicant will work with UON staff and postgraduate students, GSNSW staff, MinEx CRC research partners and other geoscientists involved in the acquisition, interpretation, and delivery of data relevant to the age and nature of cover sequences, to high technical standards and in compliance with government financial, environmental and community regulations.
To be successful in your application, you will to be able to highlight your experience and skills against each of the essential criteria:
- Ph.D. qualifications in Geoscience, or a suitable related discipline.
- Demonstrated expertise in regolith (critical zone) geoscience and/or sedimentology, geochemistry and working in covered terranes.
- Evidenced experience in acquiring, integrating and interpreting a range of geoscientific data, including geochemistry, spectral information, geophysics, surficial processes and geochronology.
- Demonstrated advanced computer skills, including database management and software maintenance.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including the ability to participate in a team environment
- Demonstrated leadership by engaging in open communication with colleagues, respecting their input and working collaboratively.
- Demonstrated high-level performance in your field consistent with internal and external best practice.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of, and experience in adhering to workplace policies and procedures in the areas of work health safety, equity, diversity and promoting a respectful workplace culture.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are encouraged to apply.
Your NEW benefits
From a flexible working environment to discounts in private health insurance and gym memberships, we offer access to a wide range of employee benefits including salary packaging. You can learn more about these at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/jobs-at-uon/benefits-at-a-glance
We provide opportunities for all people regardless of their background and experience, and this philosophy is reflected across all that we do.
To apply for this role, please visit https://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/jobs-at-uon/job-vacancies. Your application will be assessed on your responses to the Essential Criteria contained in the attached Position Description. Please read all of the information about the role so that you understand what is required. In addition:
- Follow all directions and complete all necessary fields of the application; and
- In your selection criteria demonstrate clearly how your skills and experience meet each point and should be a maximum of four pages.
Closing date: Wednesday, 30 October 2019