The Ministry of Northern Development and Mines (MNDM), Mines and Minerals Division seeks motivated leaders to attract and guide mineral sector investment, as well as inform a broad range of government policy priorities that align with the objectives and commitments of government and the ministry.
There are two opportunities available in the Mines and Minerals Division, within the Ontario Geological Survey (OGS) Branch:
- Senior Manager, Resident Geologist Program (Location: Timmins, Thunder Bay, or Sudbury)
- Senior Manager, Geoservices Section (Location: Sudbury only)
The OGS Branch is the principal provincial government organization responsible for the collection, documentation and public dissemination of geoscience information. The objectives of the OGS Branch are to identify economic opportunity, safeguard public health and safety and inform environmental and land-use planning decisions as a basis for provincial policy and planning.
What can I expect to do in these roles?
As the Senior Manager, Resident Geologist Program, you will:
- Provide strategic leadership and direction to regionally-based geoscience field offices responsible for front line client services and the application of geoscience to enhance local mineral exploration and to inform decisions related to land-use planning.
- Provide program management including the development and delivery of operational plans, practices and guidelines to meet government and ministry priorities.
- Engage with, and advocate the value of geoscience to, a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders including Aboriginal communities, mineral sector associations, other Ministries and clients and the general public.
As the Senior Manager, Geoservices Section, you will:
- Provide strategic leadership and direction to the Geoscience Laboratories, Publication and Sales Unit, Geoscience Library, Archive and Warehouse Services.
- Provide program management including the development of business plans and operational initiatives, and ensuring scientific integrity and quality in laboratory and publication functions.
- Establish partnerships and collaborate with internal Mines and Minerals Division business units, other levels of government, private sector and government laboratories, academia, suppliers and contractors.
- Senior Manager, Resident Geologist Program: Timmins, Thunder Bay, or Sudbury
- Senior Manager, Geoservices Section: Sudbury
How do I qualify?
- You have proven results-based leadership and experience managing a multidisciplinary team.
- You have proven operational leadership with experience leading a team to deliver on program development, objectives and implementation.
- You affirm, promote and demonstrate commitment to diversity, accessibility and inclusion in the work place.
Relationship Management and Communication Skills
- You have demonstrated effective communication skills in working with technical and non-technical stakeholders and clients.
- You have demonstrated political acuity and experience managing politically sensitive issues.
- You use effective negotiation and conflict management skills to build credibility with diverse colleagues, stakeholders and senior leaders.
- You have general knowledge and understanding of geoscience theories, principles and geoscience data collection activities.
- You understand and have experience with human resources, administrative, financial and budget allocation policies, processes and systems.
- You have an understanding of the application of geoscience to a broad range of public planning and economic interests.
- You understand current government directions, priorities and economic development initiatives relating to the mineral sector.
Salary Range: $ 93,050 - $106,350 per year
Duration: 2 Permanent
- The Senior Manager, Resident Geologist Program position requires travel to field offices and business destinations.
Please apply online, only, by Friday, October 14, 2016, by visiting http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=98291. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time. If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Talent Search Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario's Human Rights Code.