Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Closing Date: February 11, 2018
Teck is looking for a highly motivated and experienced Structural Geologist to assist Teck Exploration's Global Generative efforts. This position will ideally be based in Teck's Corporate Head Office in Vancouver, BC, Canada. The successful candidate will report to the Director, Global Project Generation and will be responsible for ensuring leading practice structural geology is applied to Teck Exploration's Generative efforts and for providing exploration project-level structural geology support in Teck's greenfields projects.
This role delivers value to the company by developing regional tectonic and predictive structural frameworks for all of Teck's generative focus areas, working with local teams and the Director, Global Project Generation to integrate these frameworks into target selection and prioritization at regional to project scales, and providing mentorship and training to local teams in structural geology across scales, through informal and formal training
- Development and application of 4D tectonic, geodynamic and structural targeting frameworks for each of Teck's active generative areas of interest
- In conjunction with local generative and evaluation leaders, ensures that targeting and prioritization within these areas is done in the context of those frameworks
- Ensures that for all of Teck's active focus areas the company has knowledge of and appropriately applies past and current structural geology research outcomes
- In consultation with Exploration Country Managers and Directors provides structural geology support to Teck Exploration greenfield projects through collaborative field work and assistance with modelling, targeting and vectoring.
- Provides leadership and mentoring in the application of tectonics and multi-scale structural geology to greenfields geoscience staff globally
- In conjunction with Director Global Project Generation and other subject matter experts, develops and delivers training in tectonics and multi-scale structural geology to geoscience teams
- In conjunction with Chief Geoscientist, supports development of a community of practice in structural geology across Teck geoscience business areas
- Identifies necessary change and evaluates opportunities based on long term objectives and leads a collaborative process inspiring clear vision for the future
- Operates in a manner that promotes a culture of open communication and teamwork
- Understands and promotes Teck's philosophy and approach to working with communities and deals with community stakeholders accordingly; and
- Promotes the company's commitment to sustainability, the environment and health and safety, leads by example, and demonstrates honesty and sincerity and openness to feedback.
- Previous experience in international jurisdictions with a focus on tectonics and structural geology;
- A technical degree in a geoscience with a technical post graduate degree in structural geology or tectonics;
- Extensive experience and recognized expertise in a variety of environments and across scales in developing 3D and 4D targeting
- Extensive working knowledge and technical expertise with particular expertise in the structural controls on ore deposits at the belt to local scale
- Experience and expertise in geological interpretation from potential field and other remote sensed data
- Previous experience in mentoring and training geoscientists of varying experience, educational backgrounds and cultures in structural geology as applied to mineral exploration
- Experience in organizing, managing, planning and tracking of resources to improve performance
- Advanced written and oral English, knowledge of Spanish and superior presentation skills are an asset.
- Superior communication, facilitation, interpersonal skills and ability to work with a broad range of people
- High degree of initiative, self-motivation, accountability and independent judgment;
- Visualizes future potential opportunities and anticipate risks;
- Understands how to get things done through formal channels, utilizing key practices, policies and procedures to achieve objectives;
- Establishes positive rapport with others and is effective in managing relationships through openness, honesty and cooperation;
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2017, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the eighth straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com
or follow @TeckResources