TOFWERK is a global provider of time-of-flight (TOF) mass spectrometers, headquartered in Thun, Switzerland. We offer a family of end-user research products and custom instrument designs for OEM partners and research laboratories.
TOFWERK is seeking an analytical scientist to develop and demonstrate new applications of Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP) Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometers (TOFMS). The scientist will work within our Applications Department in support of our ICP product team. He/she will be independently tasked with increasing the breadth and quality of analyses based on these instruments. The scientist will be active in relevant scientific communities in order to stay updated on trends and advances and to engage potential customers and collaborators. As the company's expert on LA-ICP-TOFMS applications, he/she will communicate the capabilities of TOFWERK technology to prospective customers, lead product demonstrations, represent TOFWERK at international scientific meetings, support the Marketing Department in the production of technical promotional material, and formally present data in conference presentations, research reports, application notes, and peer-reviewed publications. He/she will work with other members of the Applications Department to ensure that all analyses at TOFWERK utilize the best available methods and technology. Based on his/her knowledge of the field and use of TOFWERK technology, the application scientist will provide suggestions and feedback to the Software and R&D Departments regarding potential short- and long-term product improvements and developments.
- Master's Degree or Ph.D. in geochemistry, earth sciences, or related discipline
- 4+ years of experience using LA-ICP-MS for applied research, including method development
- Ability to work independently in the laboratory, including: experiment design, sample preparation, operation of scientific equipment, and data interpretation
- Strong background in data analysis, including statistics and spectral interpretation
- Interest in interacting with customers and prospective customers
- Confident and effective communicator
- Team player with good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to travel up to 30% per year for scientific conferences and customer site visits at European and international locations
- Fluency in English
Desirable Experience and Expertise
- Use of ICP-TOFMS
- Expertise in any of the following fields: geological imaging, biological imaging
- Experience running and characterizing prototype scientific equipment
- Familiarity with high vacuum systems
- Experience working with customers
- Competence in laboratory electronics and use of diagnostic equipment
- Exciting projects in state-of-the-art mass spectrometry
- Working with a creative international team
- An open culture that encourages new ideas
- Flexible work times
- A bright, spacious workplace on the river in beautiful Thun
We look forward to receiving your application at email@example.com Please send all attachments in pdf format.