The Department of Geological Sciences invites applications for two posts. The first at the Lecturer/Senior Lecturer level, and the second at Associate Professor/Professor level. One post will be filled by an economic geologist, with interests in a range of different mineral deposits. The second post will be filled by someone interested in applying geochemistry to any aspect of solid Earth petrogenesis or crustal processes, and who has practical analytical experience. A suitably qualified candidate, appointed at the professorial level in either post, will be considered for the title of Chamber of Mines Chair in Geochemistry.
- A PhD in an appropriate field at the time of appointment for both posts.
- Experience in the broad fields of economic geology or geochemistry.
- Suitable track record of research and publication.
- For the economic geology position, experience in the mining industry will be an advantage.
- Ability to lead student field excursions (both posts)
- Willingness to teach courses at the introductory level (geochemistry)
For appointment at the Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor or Professor level:
- Enhanced track record of research, publication and supervision
- Evidence of relevant teaching and mentoring experience.
- Establishing an active research programme in economic geology or geochemistry.
- Teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level including leading appropriate field courses.
- Attracting research funding and students needed to sustain an international-level research programme.
The annual remuneration packages, including benefits at the respective levels are as follows:
- Professor: R1 167 756
- Associate Professor: R938 204
- Senior Lecturer: R786 717
- Lecturer: R639 848
For further information about the posts contact Prof Chris Harris (email@example.com).
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Tracy Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- A letter of motivation indicating the field and rank of the desired position
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A statement (no more than 2 pages) of your accomplished research and future plans
- A statement (no more than 2 pages) of your teaching approach
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Telephone: 021 650 5405
Reference number: E18286
Closing date: 10 August 2018
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.