The Centro de Geociencias (CGEO) at Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico is one of the leading research centers in geosciences in Latin America, is looking to fill a new full-time research position in the field of Geochemistry of radiogenic and/or non-traditional stable isotopes with the following profile:
- The candidate should have demonstrated experience in the use of isotope-geochemistry techniques to understand the dynamics and/or temporality of chemical, physical and/or biological processes occurring at the Earth's crust and/or the Solar System.
- Should be interested in developing novel analytical methodologies using (LA)-(MC)-ICPMS to solve new challenges in Earth Sciences, as well as to provide a novel perspective to current geological problems.
The ideal candidate should:
- Be younger than 37-years for men or 39 years for women.
- Have been recently (< 5 years) awarded with a Ph.D in Earth Sciences in a subject related to the aforementioned profile and, ideally, with postdoctoral experience.
- Have demonstrated experience through first-authored articles in peer-reviewed journals on the subject described above.
- Have hands-on experience in coupling (MC)-ICPMS with different sample introduction systems (DSN, LA), and experience working in clean-lab conditions.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up new analytical protocols for the separation and purification of trace elements and or setting up novel geoanalytical methodologies.
The candidate will be expected to be involved in teaching undergraduate and graduate students through lectures, practices and thesis supervision, as well as in CGEO's Science Communication programs. We expect to hire at the Associate Researcher level, but exceptional candidates at more senior levels will be considered. The initial appointment will run for twelve months and will be renewed upon performance.
Applicants should send the following documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter describing research and teaching experience
- A statement of proposed research
- Two recommendation letters with full contact details.
Review of applications will start on June 1st, and the position will be filled until an adequate candidate is selected.
The Centro de Geociencias (www.geociencias.unam.mx) at Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico is one of the leading research centers in geosciences in Latin America. As such, it is equipped with state of the art facilities that include a Thermo Finnigan Neptune plus MCICPMS, Thermo iCap ICPMS, a Resonetics L-50 excimer laser ablation workstation, a fully-equipped class-100 clean laboratory with several laminar-flow hoods, and a heavy-mineral separation workshop.
CGEO is composed of more than 30 full-time researchers devoted to different fields of Earth Sciences, including igneous and metamorphic petrology, volcanology, tectonics, paleoclimatology, seismology, mineral deposits, paleomagnetism, environmental geology and geochemistry, hydrology, and theoretical geophysics. The campus is located in the attractive city of Querétaro in central Mexico, one of the main poles of industrial and urban development in Mexico, growing around an UNESCO world heritage site, and with one of the highest degrees in quality of life in the country.