FACULTY OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY & ENVIRONMENT
School of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The USP is one of two regional universities in the world and is the leading tertiary education provider and research facility in the South Pacific. With over 21,000 students around the Pacific region, we are supported by 12 Pacific Island Countries; Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
The School of Biological and Chemical Sciences within the FSTE provides a perfect opportunity for in-depth, first-hand studies of two of the most diverse, yet contrasting ecosystems in the world - tropical rainforests and coral reefs (both can be visited from the Laucala campus on the same day). Several of our advanced courses emphasize the ecology and conservation of these systems, which are important throughout the South Pacific region. For more information visit: http://www.sbces.fste.usp.ac.fj/
Maxumise is assisting our client, the USP in recruiting a Professor of Biology
Professor of Biology
The Professor in Biology who may be offered the position of Head of the School will have a unique opportunity to shape the learning of current and future leaders of the Pacific Region. You will occasionally travel around the Pacific Islands to visit USP's various campuses and have the prospect of acting in an advisory capacity to governments of Pacific countries and the many non-governmental organisations and projects in the Region.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Implementing an active research program and assisting in developing research projects in line with the needs of Pacific Island Countries
- Teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses across Biology including and through the distance education mode at the University's Regional Campuses within the Pacific Islands.
- Making a significant contribution to the School`s postgraduate programs, including Masters and PhD supervision
- Successfully identifying and securing internal and external research grants for the School
- Supporting the Faculty and University mission and goals as set out in the Strategic Plan
Candidates with innovative ideas and the capacity to make things happen are most likely to succeed in this position.
The Person we seek will have:
- A PhD in the general areas of ecology and/or conservation biology. A focus in the area of population/ecological genetics would be particularly desirable but not mandatory
- A research and scholarship record of sustained excellence and a recognised contribution to the academic field at a national and international level
- Demonstrated ability to make a major contribution to the graduate and postgraduate teaching programme including the supervision of Masters and PhD students
- Proven recognised contributions to pedagogical and/or educational developments in the subject area is desirable
- The ability to provide high levels of academic leadership and act as a mentor to other staff
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Have worked in developing countries and who are able to demonstrate their ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Can demonstrate sound leadership skills and willing to work as a member of dynamic team
- Can demonstrate success in attracting and supervising high quality postgraduate research students
- Can demonstrate success in attracting external research funding and in completing grant applications
This is a broad-banded full-time renewable appointment for 3 years. The remuneration package will be in the USP salary range for Professors: F$115,248 to F$124,592 per annum (Inclusive of 15% Gratuity).
In addition to the above benefits, the University contributes 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme, provides airfare and relocation costs where appropriate.
An attractive inducement allowance may be paid to attract an exceptionally qualified candidate.
How To Apply
Contact: Laisa +679 3303137
How to Apply: Email applications, with the "Professor of Biology" in the subject to USPjobsE@pacificrecruit.com. All applicants must supply: Cover letter and curriculum vitae.
Closing Date: 10th August, 2012.