To strengthen our team in the division "Non-destructive Testing Methods for Civil Engineering" in Berlin-Steglitz, starting 2020-06-01, we are looking for a
Research Associate / PostDoc (m/f/d)
in the field of civil engineering, geophysics or a similar subject
Salary Group E13 TVöD
Temporary contract until 2022-05-31
as part-time employment (70%)
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences. We offer an excellent work environment, located in Berlin, with state of the art research infrastructure and special laboratories.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
The BMBF Project "Giotto" deals with evaluation and improvement of novel fibre optic 6D vibration sensors as well as interferometric methods for structural monitoring. Main task of BAM is comparison to existing techniques and translation of NDT/SHM data to structural/conditional parameters. Our partners are geophysical institutes from LMU Munich and U Hamburg.
Your responsibilities include:
Scientific work on structural monitoring and assessment in the frame of the BMBF project "Giotto".
- Design, execution, evaluation and interpretation of mesurements with active and passive acoustic sensors and structures and structural models
- Development of assessment methods
- Supervision of PhD student(s), engineer(s), and student assistants
- Support of the project manager
- Coordination of activities with project partners
- Documentation of project results
- Scientific reports and publications
- Writing proposals for scientific projects
- PhD Degree (with at least good grades, if applicable) in civil engineering, geophysics or a similar subject
- Experience in structural monitoring using vibrational sensors
- Excellent knowledge in the field of vibrations and wave propagation
- Proven experience in Computer programming (e.g. Python)
- Fluent in English (oral and written), at least basic knowledge in German (B2)
- Record of scientific publications
- Proven team working abilities
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours, mobile working