The Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR) is a leading geosciences institution in Germany and, through research projects and technical cooperation agreements, has an impact in a global scope of activities. Among other ventures BGR is conducting the project "Strengthening the state management of the mining sector in Mozambique". The project will be executed in cooperation with the Mining Ministry of Mozambique (MIREME). In this context, BGR is looking for a
or Geoscientist (M.Sc)
to join the BGR project "Strengthening the state management of the mining sector in Mozambique". The project is part of a common German program with German International Cooperation (GIZ) to support MIREME. The successful candidate will be based in Maputo, Mozambique.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Scientific research and technical support in the development cooperation project "Strengthening the state management of the mining sector in Mozambique" in coordination with the BGR project team and the project partners
- Technical advice and support for the technical services of the Mining Ministry for the management of the mining industry, in particular:
- Advice on licensing procedures for mining projects
- Advice on feasibility studies, in particular assessments of the economic and technical potential of raw material production
- Organization and instruction of training courses on licensing procedures and feasibility studies
- Effective presentation and public dissemination of project results
- Design, preparation and support of subcontracts and monitoring of subcontractors
- M.Sc. (or equivalent) in Mining Engineering, Geosciences, Earth Sciences, or another mining-related discipline
- Good knowledge of the mining, economic and environmental aspects of raw material extraction
- Intercultural Competence
- Good organizational and team skills
- Good knowledge of the English language
- Good knowledge of the German language
- Willingness for permanent work in Maputo (Mozambique)
- knowledge and experience to assess feasibility studies, in particular their economic and technical assessment
- Knowledge of planning and approval procedures in the raw material sector
- experience in international (development) cooperation, especially in Africa
- knowledge of the Portuguese language
This is a temporary position to be filled ASAP, related to the BGR project "Strengthening the state management of the mining sector in Mozambique" which terminates on 31 December, 2018.
This post is classified in the grade 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Services (TVöD). After a preparation period in Hanover and Bad Honnef the post holder shall be deployed permanently in Mosambik, Maputo which will be remunerated with an extra pay for working abroad.
BGR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and from severely handicapped persons. Part-time work is not possible.
If you are interested in the vacancy, please send us your detailed application including CV and copies of relevant certificates. Please refer to the keyword "Mosambik Beratung Bergbauministerium" and the reference number B‑23/17. Please submit your application until April 5th, 2017 to