The Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BUNDESANSTALT FÜR GEOWISSENSCHAFTEN UND ROHSTOFFE, BGR) has a vacancy until 30/09/2022 for a
Geoscientist specialised on hydrogeology (M.Sc.)
Duties and Responsibilities:
Collaboration on-site in Niamey, Niger, under the umbrella of the technical cooperation project "Advice to the Niger Basin Authority on groundwater".
- Technical planning, execution, and evaluation of hydrological and hydrogeological investigations jointly with the local partner
- Development of monitoring standards
- Support and advice to the partner regarding collection, delivery, exchange, assessment, and storage of relevant groundwater data
- Collaboration in the elaboration of hydrogeological thematic maps for pilot areas
- Participation in the development of recommendations concerning use and groundwatermanagement and protection
- Conception and implementation of training courses on hydrogeological subjects for scientific and technical personnel of the partner
- Lead in the preparation of joint technical reports
- Participation in the planning and implementation of the technical cooperation project
- Representation of the project leader
- University degree (Master or equivalent) in a geoscientific field or comparable with focus on hydrogeology
- Very good knowledge of (bedrock) hydrogeology
- Good knowledge and professional experience in hydrologic quantitative methods, hydrochemistry, and hydrogeology
- Professional experience in planning and execution of hydrogeological field work and in data interpretation
- Work experience with common geoscientific software (especially QGis, GeODin, and geostatistics)
- Teaching experience
- Proficiency in German and French (B2-Level) as well as good knowledge of English (B1-Level)
- Strong communication and negotiations skills
- Ability for interdisciplinary team work and intercultural cooperation
- Readiness for permanent assignment abroad
- Suitability for work in tropical climate
- Knowledge of development policy principles, relations, planning and steering instruments of German development cooperation
Other (not compulsory but desirable) criteria:
- Good knowledge and work experience in water resources monitoring (surface and groundwater, meteorology)
This position is classified in the 13 grade of the Collective Agreement for the Public Services (TVöD). After a preparation period in Hannover and Bad Honnef the position holder shall be deployed permanently in Niamey/Niger, which will be remunerated with an extra pay for working abroad.
BGR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and from severely handicapped persons.
If you are interested in the vacancy, please send us your detailed application including CV and copies of relevant certificates. Please refer to the keyword “Grundwassermanagement Nigerbeckenbehörde” and the reference number B 101/19.
Please submit your application until 19.08.2019 to