The Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BUNDESANSTALT FÜR GEOWISSENSCHAFTEN UND ROHSTOFFE, BGR) has a vacancy from earliest possible date until 31.05.2022 (with option of extension for 12 months) for a
The following tasks serve the qualification of a doctorate or to obtain a leading scientific activity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cross-cutting pedological analysis and evaluation of data on soil properties from site surveys involving combined remote sensing and geophysics methods for deriving soil functions on a regional scale (ReCharBo project):
- Pedological data collection and profile description in the field, including monitoring, e.g. of vegetation cover and soil moisture
- Sampling in the field for pedological laboratory analysis
- Quality assurance and plausibility checking of pedological field and laboratory measurements
- Analysis and evaluation of combined laboratory and field measurements involving pedology, remote sensing (e.g. hyperspectral) and geophysics (e.g. gamma-ray spectrometry) for characterizing topsoils
- Development of concepts and methods for deriving homogeneous areas using statistical methods
- Verification of the results of geophysical and remote sensing methods with regard to transferability to depth (profile information, soil type, etc.)
- Evaluation of results from the combined use of geophysical and remote sensing methods with regard to their applicability for soil function evaluation
- Communication and coordination with project partners, authorities, and site owners
- Presentation of results at scientific conferences and symposia and in the form of peer-reviewed publications
- A degree (Master's or equivalent) in a geoscience discipline or, alternatively, a degree in agrosciences, forestry, engineering or a comparable subject, focusing on pedology
- A thorough knowledge of pedology
- Knowledge of organising and implementing pedological fieldwork
- Experience in the statistical analysis of laboratory or field data
- Knowledge of the practical evaluation of data using GIS
- Knowledge of the use of remote sensing methods for geoscience issues
- Very good written and spoken English (level B2) and German (level C1)
- Ability to present complex issues in reports and scientific publications
- Ability to produce scientific work
- Good communication skills
- Ability to perform interdisciplinary teamwork
Ideally, you will also meet the following requirements:
- Experience in processing large volumes of data
- Knowledge of the usability of soil maps and of the informative value of different scales
- Knowledge of practical gamma-ray spectrometry
The place of work is Hannover. This post is classified to the professional and personal requirements in remuneration group 13 or 14 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Services (TVöD). Contract will be limited due to the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz.
BGR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and from severely handicapped persons. Part-time work is possible.
If you are interested in the vacancy, please send us your detailed application including CV and copies of relevant certificates. Please refer to the keyword “ReCharBo - Bodenkunde/Fernerkundung” and the reference number B 158/19.
Please submit your application until 18.11.2019 to