The Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BUNDESANSTALT FÜR GEOWISSENSCHAFTEN UND ROHSTOFFE, BGR) has a vacancy at the earliest possible date until 31.03.2023 (with an option to extend, if applicable) as a
The jobholder is employed as a scientific assistant for BGR in the project "Identification of geothermal energy resources for municipal development in Central America" within the framework of Technical Cooperation with the Central American Integration System SICA (Sistema de Integracòn Centroamericana). He/she will carry out the project's technical tasks with a focus on geochemistry, together with project partners. The project is part of the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development of Germany (BMZ) funded development programme "Geothermal Energy in Central America" in cooperation with GIZ and KfW. The BGR project contributes to the regional promotion of geothermal energy exploration and to improving the collection of geoscientific data in the countries of Central America.
- Technical planning, coordination and implementation of geochemical investigations in close cooperation with the project partners (e.g. public energy companies, municipalities, universities in Central America)
- Accompanying and advising the partners in geological and geochemical fieldwork in Central America, especially sampling of hydrothermal sources
- Support and consulting of the project partners in the interpretation and analysis of geochemical data and in the characterization and classification of thermal waters
- Support of the project partners in the interpretation and processing of geochemical information for further consulting tasks and in the development of recommendations for the use of hydrothermal resources
- Training of partner experts in the fields of geochemical methods and interpretation of measurements, including preparation of course materials
- Support in the preparation of technical reports and publications as well as the presentation of project results
- Support of project management in the geochemical technical implementation of the project and in project reporting
Completed university studies (master's degree or equivalent) in geosciences, geology, hydrology, environmental sciences or a comparable field with a focus on geochemistry.
- Experience in geochemical fluid sampling and analysis for geothermal resources
- Knowledge of numerical simulation of water-gas-rock interactions
- Willingness to independently familiarise oneself with the specifics of geochemical exploration of volcanic geothermal systems
- Very good knowledge of Spanish (at least Level B1 GeR)
- Very good knowledge of English (at least Level B1 GeR)
- Ability for interdisciplinary teamwork and intercultural cooperation
- Interest in the development policy context of the technical work
- Skills in communication
- Ability for and presentation of technical information
- Fitness for service in the tropics
- Car driving licence class B, or comparable class
Ideally, you also meet the following requirements:
- Knowledge of hydrothermal systems
- Knowledge in handling the software "PHREEQC”
- Knowledge in the classification of thermal waters
- Knowledge of the regional geology of Central America
- Knowledge in hydrogeology
- Knowledge of geochemistry, e.g. volcanic gases
- Good knowledge of German (at least Level A2 GeR)
- Experience in technical development cooperation
- Work experience in Latin America
After a preparation period in Hannover and Bonn-Röttgen/Germany, the jobholder will mainly be based in Managua/Nicaragua.
Depending on the individual requirements, the job is classified in pay group 13 or 14 of the collective agreement on the pay scale of the Federal Government plus foreign bonuses. Spoken language is German. Applications from people of all nationalities are welcome. BGR also pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. Within the framework of flexible working hours, we offer you a responsible and varied workplace. BGR strives to increase the proportion of handicapped people, so they are given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
If you are interested in this vacancy, please send us your application. Please refer to the keyword "TZ Geothermie - Geochemie Zentralamerika" and the reference number B 34/20.
Please submit your application until 02.06.2020 to