Subject to the final approval of the BMWi funded ERA-ACT project "Pre-ACT - Pressure control and conformance management for safe and efficient CO2 storage - Accelerating CCS Technologies", Section 6.3 "Geological Storage" in Department 6 "Geoengineering" invites applications for a
Researcher with focus on Geophysics (m/f)
Reference No. 33/63/17 D
as Senior Scientist to develop efficient monitoring protocols and practicable conformance assessment methods for industrial operators of CO2 storage sites.
- analysis of existing monitoring data from geophysical surveys at various CO2 storage test sites (Sleipner, Rousse, Otway, Ketzin, etc.), classification regarding their operational and processing efforts, their benefit for joint evaluation, and prerequisite for a quantitative CO2 migration assessment, with a particular focus on the resulting pressure behavior as a key parameter of a safe storage site
- planning, preparation and execution of field experiments for pressure and saturation discrimination during a CO2 leakage test scenario, establishing the geophysical monitoring layout (seismic and geoelectric measurement setups) and investigation of the sensitivity of poroelastic rock physics properties in relationship to various seismic viscoelastic attributes
- investigation of methodologies for site conformance, including conformance levels and criteria for irregularities (e.g. due to uncertainty of multiple data types), including the quantitative assessment based on real geophysical data from case studies to obtain an approach towards practicable protocols for pressure conformance
- Master's degree (or equivalent) and PhD in geophysics, physics or related disciplines
- several years of working experience as a researcher, with strong background in inverse modelling and rock physics
- strong skills in numerical methods and programming
- experiences with geophysical field campaigns and willingness to conduct field surveys
- ability to work in an independent, structured and goal-oriented way
- strong team and communication skills for working in an interdisciplinary environment
- very good command in written and spoken English, good command in German is an asset
|Starting date:||as soon as possible|
|Fixed term:||3 years|
|Working hours:||full-time (currently 39 h/week)
The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment
|Salary:||EG 14 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)|
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam and Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful. They will not be returned.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Mrs. Albrecht at +49 (0)331 288-28878.