Within the DFG-funded Priority Program (SPP) "Mountain-Building Processes in 4-Dimensions (4D-MB)" Section 2.2 "Geophysical Deep Sounding" in conjunction with the Tectonics Section of the Freie Universität Berlin invites applications for a
PhD Position in seismology (m/f) in Project "Linking surface kinematics to deep structure of the Adriatic indenter near a potential subduction-polarity switch - the Giudicarie Belt (Southern Alps)"
Reference No. 39/22/17 D
We seek a promising young scientist to pursue PhD research in the field of local earthquake tomography in order to resolve the deep structure of the Central Alps at high resolution. This involves tracing faults from the surface down to the base of the crust and beyond as part of an effort to constrain the modes of continental subduction, including a possible switch in subduction polarity in the Alps. This work will be conducted in close collaboration with the other PhD in this project located at the Free University, as well with members of 4D-MB and the international AlpArray consortium.
- seismological data processing, analysis and interpretation
- Development and adaptation of analysis methods (inversion)
- integration of results in a geodynamic context
- presentation of the results at project meetings and at international conferences
- publication of the results in international journals
- participation in field work
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in Geophysics or a related discipline
- solid seismological background, experiences with local earthquake data (desirable)
- good knowledge in programming (c, fortran, python etc.); experience with 3D vizualization software (desirable)
- experiences with geological interpretation and interdisciplinary (i.e., with tectonics and geodynamics) work
- ability to participate in field work in mountainous terrain of northern Italy & Austria; driving license
- good command of spoken and written German and English; knowledge of Italian advantageous
|Starting date:||as soon as possible|
|Fixed term:||3 years|
|Working hours:||part time 75% (currently 29,25 h/week)|
|Salary:||EG 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)|
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam and Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful. They will not be returned.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Mrs. Albrecht at +49 (0)331 288-28878.