For the section 6.4 "Centre for Scientific Drilling" we invite applications for a
Research Scientist (m/f)
Reference No. 44/64/17 D
The GFZ hosts at the Centre for Scientific Drilling the Operational Support Group (OSG) of the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program (ICDP). The OSG serves the scientific community through operational and financial support for high-profile international scientific drilling projects. ICDP projects contribute significantly to major advances in understanding Earth's environment and life, sustainable georesources and natural disasters. ICDP is funding a staff scientist to support and supervise scientific data acquisition in ICDP projects in the field, in labs and in core repositories. This staff scientist will enhance the co-operation between project scientists and ICDP through implementing continuous communication, protocols and standards, and the publication of project reports and scientific data sets.
- project data acquisition and training of ICDP project scientists in the Drilling Information System (DIS) and utilization of associated drill site instruments such as core scanners
- development of sophisticated means for quality control in acquisition, documentation, and archiving of scientific drilling data
- support in organizational and logistical tasks such as the preparation and hosting of workshops and shipment of equipment and sample material
- editing and publishing operational reports in co-operation with the principal investigators and science team
- presentation of results at international conferences and publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Master's degree (or equivalent) and preferably PhD in Earth Science or related field
- strong geoscientific background preferably in drilling projects
- expertise in drill data management and processing
- experience in coordinating team processes
- practical skills in database tasks and general programming
- willingness to travel internationally and to serve on projects in remote areas
- proven ability to communicate efficiently in English
|Starting date:||October 1st, 2017|
|Fixed term:||2 years with the option of an extension|
|Working hours:||full-time (currently 39 h/week)
The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
|Salary:||EG 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)|
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam and Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful. They will not be returned.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Albrecht at +49 (0)331 288-28878.