For Section 1.1 "Space Geodetic Techniques" in Department 1 "Geodesy" we invite applications for a
Research Position "Astrometry with Very Long Baseline Interferometry and Gaia (ESA) satellite data" (m/f)
Reference No. 64/11/17 D
- determination and comparison of celestial coordinates obtained at radio frequencies
- radio - optical counterparts including radio source structure information
- alignment of celestial frames determined by VLBI and other techniques
- investigation of systematic effects of celestial coordinates
- research towards inclusion of radio stars and observations of the Gaia satellite
- publication of relevant results in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- documentation and assistance of the DFG Project (http://gepris.dfg.de/gepris/
projekt/249935073) joint with Technische Universität Berlin and GFZ
- Master (or equivalent) degree in Geodesy, Astronomy, Physics or Mathematics
- experience in geodetic/astrometric VLBI data analysis (master thesis, internship or post-educational) and/or with other space geodetic technique(s) preferable
- very good skills in programming, e.g. MatLab (MathWorks ®)
- very good command of written and spoken English
- communicational skills that qualify as a team player in an international, multi-disciplinary project group
|Starting date:||1 May 2018 (latest)|
|Fixed term:||3 years|
|Working hours:||part-time 75% (29.25 h/week)|
|Salary:||EG 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)|
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam and Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Kirsch at +49 (0)331 288-28878.