For Section 1.3 "Earth System Modelling" we invite applications for a
PhD position "Linking the deep structures of the cratons of Africa and South America by integrated geophysical modelling" (m/f)
Reference No. 20/13/17 D
This is a joint project of GFZ Potsdam and Christian-Albrechts University, Kiel funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). In this project, we are going to integrate gravity, seismic, geothermal and mineral physics data for investigations of the upper mantle structure in the regions of South America and Central Africa, where multiple geophysical data sets became recently available in addition to novel types of satellite gravity data. For description of the project see http://gepris.dfg.de/gepris/projekt/ 336717379.
- accumulation and analysis of available geophysical data aimed to construction of crustal models for both continents
- determination of mantle properties from a joint inversion of gravity and seismic tomography data
- analysis of the obtained models with respect to mantle dynamics
- contribution to software development
- publication of relevant results in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in Geophysics, Geology or Physics
- experience in numerical modeling in these fields is an advantage
- good skills in programming Fortran and Matlab
- good command of written and spoken English
|Starting date:||as soon as possible|
|Fixed term:||3 years|
|Working hours:||75 % part-time (currently 29,25 h/week)|
|Salary:||EG 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)|
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam and Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful. They will not be returned.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Albrecht at +49 (0)331 288-28878.