For Section 2.5 "Geodynamical Modelling" / Department 2 "Geophysics" we invite applications for a
PhD position (Geodynamics)
Job Vacancy No. 0474
Project title: Geodynamics of Continental Rifted Margin Formation - Numerical Modelling of Rift Processes from Localisation to Break-up
The aim of this project is to understand the impact of geodynamic processes on continental rifted margin formation. The successful candidate will use state of the art numerical modelling software in order to investigate tectonic, magmatic, and sedimentary processes during rift evolution. Modelling results will be compared to data and observations from the North and South Atlantic margins as well as from the East African Rift System.
The project is embedded in the Helmholtz Young Investigators Group CRYSTALS "Continental Rift Dynamics Across The Scales: Understanding Observations Through Numerical Modelling".
- conduct computational rift models and compare the results to available data
- improve the geodynamic modelling software by combining existing routines
- benchmark 2D rift models with well-studied areas of the Atlantic margins and the East African Rift
- investigate 3D rift dynamics under consideration of rift segmentation and multi-phase extension
- present results at international conferences and in scientific publications
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in geophysics, geology, physics or a related discipline in Geosciences
- research interest in continental rifting and numerical modelling
- basic experience in scientific programming (e.g. C, Fortran, Python, Matlab etc)
- ability to work independently, as well as within a multidisciplinary team
- very good command of the English language in spoken and written form
|Starting date:||1st April 2018 or by arrangement|
|Fixed term:||3 years|
|Working hours:||part-time 75 % (currently 29,25 h/week)|
|Salary:||The pay scale grouping will be into pay group 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related, professional and personal requirements are met.|
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam and Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful. They will not be returned.
If you have any administrative questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Mrs Voellmann at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.