The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG), centre for materials and coastal research, is located near Hamburg and in Teltow, near Berlin. You can find more information at www.hzg.de.
The Institute of Coastal Research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is investigating energy transfers in the near surface of the ocean. We therefore invite applications for a PhD position (m/f) in the area of "ocean energy pathways". The duration of the position is 3.5 years.
We search for a qualified scientist to investigate the small-scale energy pathways of submesoscale structures in the ocean surface mixed layer. This position is part of a new Collaborative Research Centre "Energy transfers in the Atmosphere and Ocean" conducted together with partners at the University of Hamburg and Bremen, as well as others. The scientist will use large-scale computer facilities to simulate the dynamics of submesoscale structures to understand and quantify their role in energy transfers in the upper ocean. More details of the research centre and project can be found at www.trr-energytransfers.de in the T2 subproject.
Your tasks include:
- using computer clusters to simulate ocean turbulence
- developing scientific computing codes to process and interpret simulation-based and observational data sets
- developing theoretical and conceptual models to understand and predict energy transfers and parameterisations
- work as an integrative part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and external academic partners
- scientific publication and presentation
- a strong background in oceanography, physics, geosciences, or related disciplines
- programming skills in at least one scientific programing language (e.g. Python, R, Matlab, FORTRAN)
- good knowledge of English (written and oral)
- high degree of creativity and flexibility; ability to work under pressure
- ability and willingness to participate in sea-going research
The following qualifications would be desirable:
- experience in using computer clusters
- international research experience
- research experience and an academic publication record
- good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team with scientists, engineers, and technicians
For further questions please contact Dr. Jeff Carpenter (email@example.com).
We offer an appropriate salary related to TV-AVH as well as the usual public sector social benefits. The advancement of equality at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht goes without saying; in particular, we are striving to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application (in English) indicating job offer code no. 2016/KO 8 to Max-Planck-Straße 1, 21502 Geesthacht, Germany, or preferably to the email-address: firstname.lastname@example.org, and include your CV, a list of publications, description of research experience, and a list of references.
Closing date for applications is December 7th, 2016.