The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG), centre for materials and coastal research, is located near Hamburg and in Teltow, near Berlin. You can find more information at www.hzg.de.
The Institute of Coastal Research, Division Biogeochemistry in Coastal Seas, Department Marine Bioanalytical Chemistry, invites applications for a PostDoc position (m/f) Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Environmental Sciences or comparable, starting in October 2018. The position is initially limited to 36 months.
- set up and develop fingerprinting methods for multi-element analysis and MC ICP-MS analysis of non-traditional stable isotope systems (e.g., Cu, Zn, Hg, Pb, Sr, Nd, U) (including sample preparation, matrix/analyte separations) and their validation and application for investigating the origin, transport and fate of inorganic contaminants in the frame of research projects at the Institute of Coastal Research (e.g., HGF-POF4, MOSES, Danubius-RI)
- develop new research ideas and design experiments (including field/ship based campaigns) related to tracer analysis in the context of marine ecosystem studies
- study mixing and transport processes in the estuarine and marine environment based on elemental and isotopic analysis
- independently plan and execute analyses, and evaluate collected data
- identify and develop relevant tools for data analysis and generate isoscapes
- work as an integrative part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and with external academic partners
- supervise students (doctoral, master and bachelor theses, student papers) and visiting scientists
- write scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals
- present results at meetings and international conferences
- completed degree (doctorate preferred) in (Analytical) Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geosciences, Engineering or equivalent
- expert knowledge and documented experience in the field of elemental and isotopic analysis (ICP-MS/MS and MC ICP-MS) of environmental samples at trace levels under cleanroom conditions (incl. sampling, sample preparation, measurements, method development and validation)
- interest in the biogeochemistry of shelf sea ecosystems, matter fluxes in the continuum land-river-coast and related processes
- thorough knowledge on isotope fractionation related to natural processes
- strong experience and affinity to metrology, data analysis, statistics and interpretation of analytical data (especially related to elemental and isotopic analysis)
- very good knowledge of spoken and written English (good command of German and knowledge of other languages would be an asset)
- sound knowledge in Microsoft Office, GIS-based software tools and statistical data evaluation
- driver's license B
- proven physical ability for participation in research campaigns with the institute's own research vessels as well as vessels of cooperation partners
Informal enquiries can be directed to Dr. Daniel Pröfrock (email@example.com).
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (for instance, expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is an equal opportunity employer and particularly strives to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially.
Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2018/KB 4 including your CV, a list of publications, description of research experience, and a list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is August, 22nd, 2018.