The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG), centre for materials and coastal research, is located near Hamburg and in Teltow, near Berlin. You can find more information at www.hzg.de.
The Institute of Coastal Research, Division Biogeochemistry in Coastal Seas, Department Marine Bioanalytical Chemistry, invites applications for a PostDoc position (m/f) Geoscience, Environmental Sciences or comparable, starting in January 2019. The position is initially limited to 36 months.
- analyse complex multi-dimensional biogeochemical data sets at large scales within the context of the conducted research projects at the Institute of Coastal Research (e.g. HGF-POF4, MOSES, Danubius-RI)
- develop and apply new approaches of GIS based data analysis and visualization (Isoscapes) to better understand complex biogeochemical processes in the continuum land-river-coast and extreme events
- independently plan and execute analyses as well as evaluate collected data work as an integrative part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and external academic partners
- supervise students (doctoral, master and bachelor theses, student papers) and visiting scientists
- write scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals
- present results at meetings and international conferences
- completed degree (doctorate preferred) in Geosciences, Geoinformatics or Statistics, GIS-based data analysis and visualization, Environmental Science or equivalent
- perennial experience in the field of elemental and non-traditional stable isotope geochemistry using ICP-MS -based techniques (including knowledge in trace level analysis under cleanroom conditions, sampling, sample preparation, measurements, method development and validation)
- expert knowledge and perennial experience in biogeochemical data handling and evaluation of complex and large data sets
- sound knowledge in chemical metrology (method validation, combined uncertainty calculations) including knowledge of related software tools (e.g. GUM Workbench etc.)
- driver's license B
- proven physical ability for participation in research campaigns with the institute's own research vessels as well as vessels of cooperation partners
Informal enquiries can be directed to Dr. Daniel Pröfrock (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (for instance, expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is an equal opportunity employer and particularly strives to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially.
Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2018/KB 5 including your CV, a list of publications, description of research experience, and a list of references to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications is August, 22nd, 2018.