PhD student (m/f/d)
code no. 2019/KS 7
The place of employment is Geesthacht (Germany).
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Institute of Coastal Research invites applications for a PhD student (m/f/d) for the project Cliccs-A6: "Earth system variability and predictability in a changing climate". The position is for the duration of 36 months.
CliCCS aims to understand climate changes, taking into account internal variability, extreme events, and unexpected side effects, addressing the natural and social spheres as well as their interactions. CliCCS' overarching research question is: Which climate futures are possible and which are plausible?
In the framework of CliCCS numerical models will be combined with innovative measurement concepts with focus on coastal extremes; methodologies will be applied to coupled model suites (waves-storm surge-circulation). A strong emphasis will be laid on studying the variability, predictability and the occurrence of the extremes, especially in the coastal areas through a combination of data analysis and advanced modelling systems. Active cooperation with climate scientists from different disciplines at national and international level is expected.
- Master's degree in oceanography, atmospheric sciences, environmental sciences, physics, mathematics, or related disciplines
- experience in ocean, atmosphere or wave modelling and computational skills would be an advantage
- knowledge of English (written and oral); good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of various fields of geosciences
- willingness to travel and spend some time abroad
- multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (e. g. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.