The European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC-ERIC) is seeking a motivated and experienced science communicator to develop its communication strategy, redesign the EMBRC website, and establish a strong online presence. The communication strategy will develop templates, lines of communications, and guidelines for the 9 national nodes, and 29 operators, to communicate effectively and as one about EMBRC. Through the creation of content around key topics in marine sciences relevant to EMBRC, production of promotional material, and social media posts, the Communication Officer will strengthen the visibility and promote the role and mission of EMBRC-ERIC in the scientific, industry and stakeholder communities. With a background in communications and science, the Communication Officer will also establish key performance indicators and communication targets together with the executive director and ensure they are consistently achieved.
EMBRC-ERIC Headquarters, Campus de Pierre et Marie Curie, 4 Place Jussieu, Paris, France, c/o Sorbonne Université, Paris 75005.
Brief Description of EMBRC-ERIC
The European Marine Biological Resource Centre (EMBRC-ERIC) is a distributed pan-European research infrastructure that aims to provide a strategic delivery mechanism for excellent and large-scale marine science in Europe. With its services, EMBRC-ERIC supports both fundamental and applied research based on marine bioresources and marine ecosystems. EMBRC-ERIC is centrally managed by the EMBRC-ERIC Executive Director, with the support of the EMBRC-ERIC Secretariat. The working language is English, and knowledge of French will be advantageous.
For further information:
Mission and Objectives
Create and deploy the EMBRC communication strategy, covering the headquarters and its 9 national nodes. Implement and amplify our development potential through excellent communication and social relations. Content will appropriately reflect and promote the mission and activities of EMBRC. The user community will be a crucial audience of our communication objectives. Articles will need to animate our social media channels and events, and report on the achievements realised by our scientific community to a broader community of scientist and policy makers.
1) Communications Coordination
- Establish a network of contacts across the consortium tasked with communications responsibilities;
- Develop and maintain shared repositories of information and contacts with internal and external stakeholders, adhering to GDPR regulations at all times;
- Establish communication channels to ensure effective distribution of communication products and outputs across members;
- Ensure smooth functioning of communication tools during events
2) Management of Communication Channels
- Take responsibility for the collection, organisation and distribution of news across the consortium using suitable channels;
- Design and implement a consortium newsletter that is distributed electronically (system to be defined);
- Expertly maintain, moderate and feed all social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn);
3) Website design and Content Management
- Take a central role in redesigning and updating the EMBRC website (graphic design, navigation, content). Draft the specifications and monitor the execution of the webmaster's work;
- Edit and maintain specific sections of the project website (general information, news sections);
4) Communications Strategy
- Work with the Executive Director, secretariat, and members, to update and develop a fit for purpose communications strategy for the consortium;
- Create original and structured content that faithfully and clearly describes EMBRC-ERIC activities, our achievements and our general organisational status;
- Implement the strategy and monitor achievements against set metrics and key performance indicators (KPIs);
- Represent EMBRC-ERIC and its related projects at seminars, workshops and conferences, and boost our user community engagement;
- In coordination with the Secretariat, organise outreach activities, including scientific, policy, industry and general public audiences;
- Consistently monitor communication performance and report on developments;
5) Brand Material
- Enforce brand guidelines for all communication outputs (at HQ and Partner levels);
- Develop a corporate video introducing the consortium, its ambitions and activities;
- Develop ad hoc communications products as requested by the consortium;
Essential Skills and Competences
- Minimum qualification: Master's Degree, or equivalent, in Communication and Marketing;
- Minimum three years' experience in a similar role;
- Experience with creating communication strategies
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Excellent written and verbal presentation skills;
- Excellent computer literacy, including expert command of MS Office package;
- Command of image processing software (i.e.: Adobe Illustrator; Photoshop, etc.,);
- Knowledge of publishing software programmes;
- Data analysis skills for analytical reports;
- Ability to build excellent relationships with international teams working at all levels across the consortium;
Desirable Skills and Competences
- Master's degree in a biological science;
- Graphic design skills;
- Proficiency in database management, website content management and programming languages;
- Knowledge of French and other EU languages;
- Knowledge of EMBRC-ERIC;
Special Personal Attributes Required for the Position
- Strong interpersonal and networking abilities;
- Accustomed to working with a high-degree of transparency and in close interaction with colleagues;
- Able to work towards precise objectives under specific time constraints;
- Commitment to producing high-quality work;
- Excellent organizational skills, including the time management of personal and team assignments;
- International work experience;
- Competitive salary, commensurate to titles and experience.
- A benefit package will be offered, including a health insurance and public transportation subsidy.
- Permanent contract with 4-month probationary period.
- Overtime may be required to meet activity deadlines.
- National and international travel will be required for the purpose of meeting with internal and external stakeholders.
- EMBRC-ERIC is an equal opportunities employer.
Applicants should send a CV along with a covering letter (as one PDF document) that summarises their relevant experience, and in particular any scientific communication expertise, links to online activities or at least two pieces of original content created, current salary, and why they are enthusiastic about this opportunity. They should include the names and contact information of at least two references.
Enclose this document in an email message, with subject: "EMBRC Communication Officer" addressed to: email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until midnight on 31st December 2019.